jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

Steam clean carpet or no?

1. Bill Manning profile image70
    Bill Manningposted 5 years ago

So I'm finally moving into my new apt. next week. It has been cleaned of course, but I have no idea if the carpet was steam cleaned.

I'm thinking of steam cleaning it the day before I move in. I could add mildew additives to kill any mildew and prevent new, something I worry about here in Florida.

Plus it would be very clean and the place is empty, perfect time. Do you think it's a good idea or overkill? hmm

1. prettydarkhorse profile image65
      prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Can you request the apartment mgmt. to do it for you?

2. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 5 years ago

I have hardwood and tile throughout my house with large area rugs here and there. I steam clean them once a month. You would not believe the dirt that's held in them.

And yes -- I would steam clean them before moving in, but that's just me.

1. Bill Manning profile image70
      Bill Manningposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, I'm pretty sure I will. No telling what is in there, plus there must be some mildew inhibitor I could mix in there. smile

2. The Jet profile image85
      The Jetposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree. Steam cleaning is awesome.

3. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

I would ask management if/how the carpets were cleaned.  Does it look like they were cleaned?

If you do steam clean, do it early when there is less humidity.
    This site has a lot of helpful information about how to keep your home healthy.  I use it often as a resource.
    http://healthychild.org/live-healthy/ch … chemicals/

You sound like you're going to be a good tenant! smile Enjoy your new place.

4. Bill Manning profile image70
    Bill Manningposted 5 years ago

I can't tell if it looks like they were steam cleaned or not. Even if I ask and they say yes, I don't know how good a job they did.

Also it's been sitting there empty with the temp. higher than normal.

So I think it's one of those things where if you really want to know for sure and know it's done right, you gotta do it yourself. smile

5. Janie Graham profile image61
    Janie Grahamposted 4 years ago

I think steam cleaning is usually great. There are small chances that stains will actually be picked up from the bottom of the carpet and appear on the surface. However, if you regularly clean  your carpets, this won't happen. You can ask http://www.simplysteaming.com for more information

6. alphagirl profile image79
    alphagirlposted 4 years ago

Whatever you do don't get one that uses lots of water. You carept will take forever to dry. You will need a fan to circulate.

7. MickeySr profile image88
    MickeySrposted 4 years ago

Shampooing carpet leaves soap residue that dirt then sticks to (your carpet will get dirty again more quickly than if not shampooed) - but steam cleaning doesn't thoroughly clean (it kind of lifts the top layer of dirt off but brings the bottom layer of dirt up into the fibers). The best way to clean carpet is to (after a good vacuuming) first shampoo it and then steam clean it - the shampooing actually scrubs the fibers clean and the steam cleaning then removes the residue shampoo . . . the best way to avoid mildew or even a breakdown of the carper fiber is to use a steam cleaning machine with a very heavy head, so it weighs down firmly into the carpet creating a good suction - you want to remove the moister from the jute backing of the carpet.