jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

A little proof the American spirit is still alive!

1. tobey100 profile image61
    tobey100posted 5 years ago

Some of you may remember last year's devasting flood in the Nashville, Tennessee area in May causing over 2 billion dollars worth of damage and destroying approximately 36,000 homes.

My buddies and I setup a Paypal account and solicited $1 donations to purchase drinking water for the hundreds of familes in our small area that were without.  Your response was overwhelming and we were able to provide over 4000 bottles of clean, safe water.  ( Special thanks to Misha here!)  We never told the recipients our names, only that friends had chipped in to help.

Well, get this.  A grandfather, won't give his name but he lives in Arizona, found out we'd helped his daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren.  Somehow, I have no idea how, he managed to track us down.  Last week he showed up at LT's house (LT's a good friend since caveman days) with five sets of family tickets for a week cruise.  LT called everyone together just to meet the gentleman.  Of course we didn't accept the tickets but it was incredible this man would take the time to find us, travel from Arizona and make the offer.  Kinda restores your faith in humans.

2. 0
    Motown2Chitownposted 5 years ago

Wow, it restores your faith in humanity ALL around!  Good on you folks and good on the gentleman who went so far out of his way to say thank you!  What a wonderful thing to see in the forums today.  Thank you!

3. LuisEGonzalez profile image80
    LuisEGonzalezposted 5 years ago

You have no idea how refreshing and heartwarming this story has made me feel.

Yes America has its share of issues but it never stops amazing me how great this country is!!!
    Thanks for making my day.

4. tobey100 profile image61
    tobey100posted 5 years ago

My youngest boy calls it a Reader's Digest moment.  The old gentleman was a super guy.  We're pretty sure he didn't have the money to do what he offered but it didn't matter to him.  There are still quite a few amazing people out there.

5. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

Beautiful! The first post I've read today, how refreshing. smile