jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Steel Roofing - Obstacles

1. GmaGoldie profile image85
    GmaGoldieposted 4 years ago

We are roofing our home hopefully we will be able to wait until spring. There is allot of talk about steel roofing - what do you see as an obstacle for this new material?

The plastic seems like a no brainer. The steel seems to have some mental and perhaps some physical drawbacks to overcome.

Because it is all about resale...

What would be your concerns if you were buying home with a steel roof?

1. 61
      Bentaevposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Single roofing is the best options because in a future if you want to roofing on this single than this is easy. so in my opinion this is the best options.
      roofing south australia

2. nightwork4 profile image59
      nightwork4posted 4 years ago in reply to this

i install metal roofing and i can tell you that if you buy a good quality metal roof, it doesn't only last a long time, it increases the value of your home. shingles need to be changed every 15 or 20 years at most and plastic can get damaged by heat and extreme cold.

2. 59
    kardinalcoposted 4 years ago

No any concerns about buying a house with a metal roof, but in Cincinnati most metal roofs is commercial. My Opinion as a roofer and home owner is to have shingle roofing because its easy to do any roofing repair on it.

1. wilderness profile image97
      wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Not a roofer, although I've done some, and I agree.  I wouldn't want a metal roof - I've had to repair some in industrial buildings and it isn't real easy.    They are also noisy though that would be alleviated with an attic and ceiling under them.

3. GmaGoldie profile image85
    GmaGoldieposted 4 years ago

Very helpful information. Will keep you posted. I have yet to sell the roofer yet my husband to go for the decorative metal roof.

4. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

I have replaced my old asphalt shingles with a metal roof and you must get someone experienced.
    Some will try to save money on not waterproofing around the roof vent pipes. Get a few estimates and references.

5. 0
    Giselle Maineposted 4 years ago

I would be worried about rain noise if I was buying a home with a steel roof.  I also would wonder if it would be more prone to leaking (in case of rust forming near the roofing nails)?