Where do socks disappear to when you launder them?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (45 posts)
  1. profile image0
    lambservantposted 11 years ago

I had a hub request from a friend who was going crazy becauee every time she buys a new pair of socks and washes them, one sock of the pair is always lost. Any ideas? I'm looking for serious or humorous answers. Will be making a hub out of this.

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I believe the washer gets hungry and eats them or the dryer may have decided to see if one would fit and forgot to give it back! big_smile  That's what I tell my family anyway. smile

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
      Jesus was a hippyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They go to china. It was on CNN last month. Apparently that's where they get 18% of their countries income from.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image94
      FatFreddysCatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can vouch for the fact that washing machines do occasionally eat socks. A couple of weeks ago my wife called me @ work and told me that she'd just run a load of laundry and now the washer wasn't draining. When I got home I took the bottom panel off the front of the washer and started fiddling around with the hoses and connections. Eventually I found the problem -- a sock had somehow gotten sucked out of the "drum" and down into the outflow pipe. It was packed in there good and tight too so the water couldn't get past it. It was a b*tch getting the sock out of there, and of course when I finally freed it I had to deal with several gallons of soapy water spilling out all over the floor, but at least I was able to fix it without having to make an expensive service call! I was rather proud of myself.

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

I don't know where they go, but they always come back.

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lololo! They needed a long break Paradigm after all the foot is not the nicest place to always be. lololo! big_smile

3. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

Many years ago the excellent book "Poodles From Hell" explained that they get sucked into a parallel dimension ccalled the Sargasso Sea of Socks. Rumor has it that Jimmy Hoffa is there, too.

1. lobobrandon profile image89
      lobobrandonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

4. SandyMcCollum profile image64
    SandyMcCollumposted 11 years ago

One time we cleaned out that venting tube that makes the hot air from the dryer go outside and found some socks in there. We've also found them in between the tub and casing of the washer. We've also taken them out of the sink, which is where our washer drained. I think there's several ways they go, and they only come back when you've lost or thrown out the other one. smile

1. profile image0
      lambservantposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sandy, I have never thought about in between the tub and casing of the washer. It sure makes sense.

5. larakern profile image69
    larakernposted 11 years ago

Half of the time my lost socks never find their way home. I believe that I have a sock hungry ghost in my house, haha.

6. Michael Willis profile image68
    Michael Willisposted 11 years ago

They end up in the HP Forums as Sock-Puppets!!! yikes

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6579262_f248.jpg

1. profile image0

Michael, that is hilarious.

2. Pamela N Red profile image84
      Pamela N Redposted 11 years agoin reply to this

big_smile big_smile

7. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

It's the washer.  I have a passive-aggressive washer.  Whenever it has a beef with me, my socks disappear.  But that's okay.  Until they reappear, I still use the one sock.  I am retired, so know one checks if my socks match.  I just need a similar color.

8. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 11 years ago

See, what people don't know is that dry heat can open portals to other realms. Socks are superior spiritual beings that haven't been recognized by believers or scientists yet. But the truth is that they have the ability to travel through time and space, showing up at random places... like... underneath your ex-boyfriend's bed (ahem!) or under the sofa cushions of your superhot body-builder neighbor. But socks hardly ever do this journey alone... they're usually accompanied by thongs and bras. big_smile

1. profile image0

Arlene, we think alike. If I don't have a match, I just wear long pants and no one is the wiser. Klarawieck, ah, thongs and bras too. Never worn a thong, never plan to, but have lost  a bra or two in my time. You are funny Kiarwieck.

9. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

Lambservant, we do what we can to save.  I tried buying these bamboo socks, but they don't seem to be able to take a beating.  Klara, I have never left any bras or thongs at anyone's house.  Not that I would be wearing thongs!  If I didn't think of the guy as a keeper, not leaving anything around his place guaranteed a clean break!  Why go back for bras and socks when I'm already down the road?

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Arlene, you're simply not helping! roll

2. Denise Handlon profile image86
      Denise Handlonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

10. iantoPF profile image79
    iantoPFposted 11 years ago

We had a pile of odd socks so my wife got the brilliant idea of dyeing them all black. That was fine but then the missing socks started appearing and things went downhill from there.

1. profile image0

lanto dying them all one color is great idea. I buy only one brand and color of sock so if I lose some from time to time, I still have others to wear. Also, I have found socks that have fallen behind the dryer or on the side of it .

11. Denise Handlon profile image86
    Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

I frequently have that happen and it makes no difference if it is my home or when I visit my kids.  I think it is just gremlins playing tricks...or maybe a black hole that opens up and swallows it.

12. Rusticliving profile image82
    Rusticlivingposted 11 years ago

I have it on very good authority and pictures that have been developed from a camera I had hidden in my laundry room, that aliens come down and swipe the socks. They have this thing about wearing "Human Socks." Now.. the question shouldn't be "where do they go or end up?", the question should be, "Why only ONE sock from each pair? Why is one sock left behind?" I believe that the picture I have captured will explain this and the mystery solved. smile

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6603188_f248.jpg

1. profile image0

Rustic, that image is awesome, and proof positive there are little creatures stealing our socks.

13. jennzie profile image71
    jennzieposted 11 years ago

I'm not sure, but in my house TV remotes and keys get lost- or perhaps should I say MISPLACED- far more, as well as cell phones (I STILL can't find mine yet!).

14. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 11 years ago

The trick is to always wear odd socks - the missing ones come creeping out of hiding and back into the draw if totally ignored.

1. profile image0

brilliant

15. Bedbugabscond profile image94
    Bedbugabscondposted 11 years ago

I am fairly sure we have a Hobbit who lives behind the dryer. I blame him for the missing socks. Apparently, he collects forks as well. When you clean your entire house looking for forks because there is only one in the kitchen, and you find nothing, it must be a hobbit!

1. profile image0

bedbugs, in my house it's spoons.

16. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

it is mixed with other socks in somebody's closet

17. cheaptrick profile image74
    cheaptrickposted 11 years ago

One time,I couldn't find a matching sock so I called 411 information.The nice lady told me to look behind the couch...There it Was!
    "Steven Wright"

1. profile image0

Hilarious Cheaptrick

18. Eric Calderwood profile image79
    Eric Calderwoodposted 11 years ago

It has been scientifically proven that some socks, being the twins that they are, have a telepathic link with each other.  In order to find the missing sock, you have only to take the remaining sock to a psychiatrist who will put this sock under hypnosis.  The sock will then connect with its twin and be able to tell you where it is.  Isn't modern science amazing?

19. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 11 years ago

I'm thinking it has to be related to the Big Bang! smile

20. pstraubie48 profile image81
    pstraubie48posted 11 years ago

They disintegrate. It is part of a conspiracy by the National Sock Industry so that we will need to buy m o r e socks....   big_smile

21. Quilligrapher profile image73
    Quilligrapherposted 11 years ago

All washing machines, like HubPages, check every load for duplicate content and eliminate it.

1. Eric Calderwood profile image79
      Eric Calderwoodposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Now that's funny! smile

22. Pamela N Red profile image84
    Pamela N Redposted 11 years ago

Fairies steal them when you aren't looking and make clothes out of them. They have a shortage of cotton and wool in Fairy Land and it is a much needed commodity.

23. Hugh Williamson profile image76
    Hugh Williamsonposted 11 years ago

The real answer (Seinfeld explains where they go....)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5OoR0Qjrlo

24. Bill Yovino profile image88
    Bill Yovinoposted 11 years ago

They end up in a Laundromat in Tasmania...

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6676681_f248.jpg

1. Druid Dude profile image59
      Druid Dudeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Black holes.

2. Thelma Alberts profile image90
      Thelma Albertsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So, my socks are there in Tasmania! I was already wondering why they didn´t answer me when I called them;D. I´m sure the socks want a holiday in a warm and sunny country, lol;-)

25. carlarmes profile image66
    carlarmesposted 11 years ago

We have Yuggles in our house, they take other stuff as well, keen on moving things and then putting them back where you had only just looked at five minutes earlier.
    They also collect buttons off shirts and they have a habit of breaking my shoe laces and letting down my bicycle tyres just before I need to go to work.

Actually I know mice like socks, I found a stash of them under the floor boards in  a small mice nest, along with black knickers, not mine.

1. Bill Yovino profile image88
      Bill Yovinoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Reminds me of the hamsters my kids had years ago. One was always exercising on the wheel and the other used the wheel to gently rock back and forth. We read that if you put an old sock in the cage, the hamster would shred it and use it for a nest. We gave a sock to each. The active hamster shredded his and built a nest in the corner of his cage. The lazy hamster used the sock as a sleeping bag without further adjustment. FYI - the lazy hamster out-lived the other by fair margin.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)