Remove old deck or Not?

1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

I have a graying, wood-rotted and warped board son my deck. I've looked into different solutions such as simply replacing the rotted boards, replacing it with recycled plastic boards, taking it down,or making a patio instead.
    Anyone do this project?

1. Michael Willis profile image78
      Michael Willisposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I remodeled my front deck a couple of months ago. The boards, like yours, were warped and pulling up.
      Before you decide what you do, check the under framing to see if it is still sound. You may be able to just replace the top boards. The framing should last a lot longer than the top boards. (If built with the right materials)
      It will save time and money if you only have to replace top boards.

2. handymanbill profile image63
      handymanbillposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I have fixed many of bad deck a photo would be nice. The lower boards are probably not bad. If the top ones are  warped then you can one of two things. Get a Battery drill and run some Exterior grad screws ind see if you can take the warp out or just pull up the boards and get some pressure treated wood and put back down.  Always use Exterior grade Screws and or Galvanized  Screw nails.All this depends how the Floor joist are underneath.