What Makes Granite Countertops So Great
If you are looking for a way to give your kitchen, bath or patio a new look, consider the effective and elegant look of granite countertops. Once thought to be only affordable for the wealthy, these beautiful additions are now being used in homes and businesses in small towns and busy cities like Atlanta. Granite countertops offer many uses for the home owner, making them a worthy option in any countertop make-over.
Are Granite Countertops Right for You?
To understand why granite countertops are fast becoming a popular addition to homes all over America, check out the following granite facts:
1. It is a dense structure composed of liquid magna that becomes quartz, mica and feldspar due to high heat and pressure. This pressure ultimately results in a large assortment of colors and patterns.
2. Granite can take a lot of abuse. You can use it as a hot pad because it is heat resistant;yet it makes a perfect place to knead bread dough or make candy; however, granite will dull knife blades, so be sure to use a cutting board!
3. When the seal is properly applied and maintained, granite countertops are stain, bacteria, scratch and chip resistant.
4. Granite countertops can add as much as 10% to the resale value of your home.
5. Granite countertops are a great way to dress-up a room. Moreover, as no two slabs are exactly alike, you can create a personal look complete with its own color, texture and finishing touches like inlaid tile back splashes or beveled edges.
6. Granite countertops are easy to maintain. To keep them beautiful, here are a few tips:
- A gray or black stain caused by heat can be buffed out by using steel wool.
- Glue can be scraped off with a credit card or a single edge razor.
- Standard cleaning can be done by wiping the surface with a micro-fiber cloth, and, when needed, some water.
- Each week the granite countertops should be wiped down with a damp cloth and a stone cleaner with a neutral pH level.
- Harsh cleaners or abrasives should never be used as they can damage the surface.
Granite countertops are a beautiful way to add style and value to your home. And, while it may take some special care to keep it looking its best, it is well-worth the effort. So take your time and select the granite countertops just right for your space.
No comments yet.