Home Office Décor To Calm Away Stress
I find I can do some of my best thinking during some quiet time outside. Whether it be a walk in the woods or down a beach, the calming affects of nature allow my mind to go free. I feel like if I could recreate that feeling in my home office décor, then it would lead to a more relaxed yet productive work environment.
In an attempt to do just that, I thought a lot about color and it's affect on mood. I thought of ways to bring nature inside and furniture placement. I will explain all of this in detail.
This home office was designed with the man of the house in mind but was made inviting enough for the whole family to use or just come in and sit. It doubles as a library as it is a great place to sit and read by the fire.
Office Design - Natural
- The first thing I had to think about was color. Since I wanted to bring nature inside, my obvious choice was to start with green. Green is calming and easy on the eyes. I didn't want a tropical green because I also wanted the room to be somewhat masculine and soothing. After going through countless paint chips of green, I settled on this soft sage. It had just the right feel that we were going for, very soothing to the eye and just the right amount of masculinity.
- I wanted to add some earthiness to the room so I chose brown leather chairs for the seating. They definitely added some warmth and sophistication to the room.
The black and white fireplace gives a bold focal point of authoritativeness and power. It is truly set apart from the natural colors surrounding it. The entire room has a natural and masculine feel.
- I couldn't plant trees in the room but the birch tree lamps do a nice job of bringing some nature inside. This is a little bit of the unexpected that works just fine even in a more formal room.
- The vase on the table is filled with river rock and a few sprays of branches from a crafts supply store.
- There is plenty of photography throughout the room. Nature pictures especially are a great way to bring the beauty inside.
Furniture placement is key to a good office design. This room has a large bay window, perfect for looking out into the yard. Positioning the desk in front of the window, at a slight angle, allows the person sitting to see outside. Since the desk is facing the room with the chair at the window, the person has the ability to look out as well as see the entire room.
Flanking the two leather chairs on each side of the fireplace allows for great conversation. A lot of goal making and family plans can be made in this environment. Pillows on the chairs, in warm earthy colors, add to the comfort of the room.
The window treatments blend in with the wall color to tie the room together. They also lend a little more privacy which gives the room a cozier feel.
More For Your Interior Design Needs
- Bamboo Flooring - Going Green With Natural Flooring
With everyone's concern over the environment, sales of natural flooring materials are booming. Bamboo flooring has become extremely popular. It has a similar look of a traditional wood floor but without...
- Rustic Mantels - How To Decorate A Fireplace Mantel
Instead of a traditional finished wood mantel, you might want to go with something more natural if your décor is rustic. We actually harvested our own wood and had the builder install it for us but you can...
- Custom Window Coverings -Sewing Window Treatments With Whimsy
Blinds and window treatments can be perked up with a little customization. If you can sew or try some of my whimsical ideas, you will have your own custom window treatments.
- Budget Decorating - Dust Off and Display
Interior decorating on a budget is easy when you use what you have. Use my decorating tips to display your treasures in a picture perfect setting.
- Budget Decorating - Creating A Rustic Bar Scene
Whether you are looking for log cabin décor or a rustic setting, guests will appreciate a cozy lodge ambience. Whether serving coffee or something a bit more lively, this bar begs you to come sit and stay awhile.
- Bedroom Designs - How To Decorate A Teen's Bedroom
Tips for decorating kids rooms when they become teenagers. A bedroom makeover is made easy with these teen friendly decorating ideas.
- Living Room Designs - Personalize Your Space
Your home should reflect who you are, so decorate with things you love. Even if your favorite things are offbeat and unexpected, you can place them in your room to really add character. What fun is it to...
- Paint For Effect: Make A Zesty Nest
When choosing your interior paint colors, it is important to know which colors have an impact on elevating mood. Learn the best color choices for each are of your house.
- New Home Construction - Choosing The Interior
It can be mind boggling when you are building a house and you have so many decisions to make. All of your interior design ideas such as wall paint and flooring should be kept in a notebook.
More by this Author
A good laundry room design can provide efficiency in a pleasant atmosphere. A mud room in the same space is the ultimate in functionality. Check out this laundry room idea that incorporates both functions in one space.
See pictures and instructions for finishing OSB flooring into a durable and attractive rustic flooring choice. The OSB board takes on a whole new look when coated with varathane floor finish.
Interior brick veneer is easy to install with these tried and true steps. See how adding a thin brick wall using tumbled bricks enhances a rustic design.