How to Clean Your House Fast for Guests: cleaning tips from a slob
How to clean your house fast
My sister is a cleaning guru. I have never been able to clean house as well as her. She took after my mom. She was the "neat child" and I was the slob. When I had my own place, I changed all that...well sort of.
What I learned about cleaning my home is a compilation of knowing some of her tricks, and years of cleaning on the fly when I knew company was coming, and I didn't want to explain that the left over pizza on the coffee table was not an appetizer for them.
How clean is clean?
To answer this question, we must first say, "that depends." if you ask my OCD mom--whom I love dearly, and have learned to forgive--clean means: if there was an accident right outside your door and emergency surgery had to be preformed in your kitchen on the floor... right now...your floor would always be surgery ready. Not only visually spotless, but microscopic germ free clean. To my mom, that is clean.
To me clean means if a forty-five year old friend came over and wasn't wearing her glasses and she dropped her grapes on the floor, she would quickly swoop them up and eat them because, she would say, "Your floor is so clean, three second rule counts."
She would have missed the little blob of ketchup by the kitchen counter, or the random popcorn seed, and frosty flakes that lingered near the oven.
My idea of clean is clean enough so that you don't need to lie to guests when they ask to use the bathroom and you tell them they are all out of order due to a severe plumbing problem. When in reality, you are not really sure at that moment if you left something hanging out that you don't want to share with the world.
Here is my 10 step-by-step process for cleaning your house in 15 minutes
Before you start to clean, Put on some loud, upbeat music to get you moving.
1. Get boxes, buckets, or bags- go around the house and fill them up with every random out of place thing you find. Shoes, umbrellas, papers, dirty clothes, mail, toys, books, and whatever other clutter you have piled in random corners of the house.
Don't worry about where it should go, for now you are just trying to get the clutter out of sight. I learned this trick from my sister. Take all the junk and shove it out of sight- either in the garage, a closet, the back yard...wherever it can be stashed. You can deal with it after your company leaves.
On the surface, my sister's bedroom always looked spotless...but God help you if you opened her drawers or closet. It was often sheer chaos. Her method worked, however, she fooled my mom into thinking she was a neat child our entire growing up years.
2. Throw all the dirty dishes in the dishwasher, the oven or out on the back porch (as long as you aren't going outside).
3. Run the vacuum over all floors. Run a damp mop over the kitchen floor. Remember you are trying to do this in fifteen minutes so you have to move fast.
4. Straighten pillows, throw rugs, and furniture. Close all bedroom doors and pray your guests aren't the snooping kind.
5. Wipe down all major surfaces with a damp cloth.
6. Clean the guest bathroom with glass cleaner...everywhere. Use one rag to clean and another to polish. Start with the sink and move to the toilet. Hide the dirty towels and replace with fresh ones folded in thirds like you see in the magazines. Hang up a fresh roll of toilet paper.
7. Throw a table cloth over the kitchen/dining table, and place a large vessel or vase full of water in the center. Now go outside and cut some twigs from trees, stems from bushes, and flowers (if you have any) and place them in the vase. if you have placemats and matching napkins you could set these out at each place setting. It makes the table look nice.
8. Empty the trash cans. Spray the house with something fresh and lemony.
9. Hose off the front porch and sprinkle water over the bushes to freshen the entrance.
10. Put out a plate of crackers, chips, cheese, whatever you can dump quickly on a plate and arrange around a bowl of dip, salsa, or cream cheese block with one of those little shrimp cocktail things poured over it. Put this on the coffee table (after you move the pizza).
Your guests arrive to a clean house
Trust me, the only person who would not think your house was clean is my mom and maybe Martha Stewart and it is highly unlikely either of them are your guest.
So there you have it. That is my secret to how to clean a house fast when you know company is coming. Of course if they stay overnight...you may have some explaining to do.
How clean are you?See results without voting
More by this Author
Foreclosure timeline is based on two different types of documents and processes. One is called the "deed of trust" the other is called a "mortgage". It is confusing because most people refer to their...
Metal pictures or printing photos on metal can make a sleek modern work of art for any decor. There are advantages and disadvantages to printing on aluminum.
Every video and book jacket I see of Yoga instruction shows a thin, flexible person bending with fluid precision. But what about yoga for fat people? Is that even possible? One of the problems with being a plus...