Outdoor Wooden , timber Garden Bench properties - Wood Benches outside used joints
wooden benches for outdoor purposes
outdoor wooden benches
Benches are being used for comfort sitting. And it should solve the purpose irrespective of any number of years and abuses. This is our expectation normally. Besides we check for aesthetic look of the material which is been used. Comparing to metal and plastic wooden benches are regarded for its aesthetic look and beauty.And the texture , color always attracts and appealing look.That too wooden benches has its own value which can't be compared to any other materials.
Secondly the properties of wooden benches makes it unique in usages. The special thing in wooden benches are when atmosphere temperature goes up , it tries to give up moisture, so the wooden benches remain cool. In the same way if the atmosphere temperature is cool , the wooden benches try to remain warm by absorbing the moisture.This makes the wooden benches anytime comfort usage.Even the outside wooden benches gets older it adds the value and meaning unlike other materials.
Repairing and painting point of view always got advantage comparing to other materials. Just match the wood or buy the same species and do the joint and repair the benches. The instruments you are going to use for repairing is so simple and you may carry that anywhere.Wooden benches repairing doesn't require heat or gas for welding. The repairing can be done with a shortest duration. And can be used immediately, without any delay.
Whether it is for indoor or for outdoor benches , we are not going to change the wood we are going to use. Only choosing the wood for inside or outside benches will not going to solve the problem. Specific species either from hardwood or softwood can be utilized provided it can be properly treated and has paint able characteristics. Apart from this , the in the hardwood species the heartwood is suitable for outdoor benches due to it's stability. Mixture of heartwood and sapwood will lead to problem, due to its difference in shrinkage . There are chances for crack development. Sapwood alone can be utilized for bench making provided it is seasoned and treated with environment friendly chemicals.
Tips for outside wooden benches
1. Choose the right timber for wooden benches for outside. May be softwood or hardwood , it should be of right density. Other wise breakage due to abuses will occur.
2.Choose the timber by straight grain pattern. Avoid too much of cross grained timber or tensioned or compressed timber. These timber look likes very good , but due course it may start cracking or breaking.
3. Well seasoned timber to be used for outdoor wooden benches. Make sure the moisture of the wooden bench should be around 12%. This moisture content in the wood can be achieved by prolonged air seasoning or under water seasoning or artificial seasoning in controlled atmosphere kilns or by vacuum kiln dryer.This is one of the main criteria avoiding cracks, twist and warping of timber in long running.
4. Machining of the timber after seasoning is one of main thing , where skilled labors are involved or the right machine for best machining. Either it is for planning or for molding purposes we should opt for the right person to do that, to avoid uneven thickness, improper profiles, roughness on the surface.
5. Manual sanding or machine sanding , you must follow the step by step procedures to get the smooth finish in timber. This makes good finish and appealing look.Always choose the higher grit sand paper for initial stage and increase the number's at final.This will avoid opening of cells in the woods.
6. Apply number thin coats of water resistant paint. This is most important thing in painting outdoor wooden benches for avoiding water penetration, peeling off paints and making the wooden bench weather proof.Make sure you are using the fungi and insects resistant paint. Basically zinc added paint will act like this. Otherwise you opt for paints which is used for outdoor purposes.
7. Even applying a undercoat of boiled linseed oil will help to make the outside wooden benches weather proof. Then use pine tar oil to make the benches weather proof. Presence of phenolic compound in pine tar makes it more resistant to fungi and water proof.
8. Avoid too many joints and too many pieces of wood for outside wooden benches in order to make it maintenance free and weather proof. Too many joints will the water to enter and can't be identified easily resulting swelling of timber.
9. If you are using the timber for ground support , you should choose the treated timber with cca or creosote oil for long lasting performance of the timber. The chemicals used in treatments should solve both purposes of insects and water proof.
10. Besides to maintain the painted surfaces and paint color use the option for shade.
More by this Author
Bringing up the children is considered as complicate job, unless , we learn how to behave in front of the child. You should start from your side , to overcome the shortcomings in children.
Partition walls are of many types. Depends on requirement we may choose a movable one or fixed one or holdable or curtain type. If you need to introduce acoustic properties in partition walls possibilities are there....
Next to roof , one of the most important as well as helping in interior design is Ceiling. That too , in particular wood ceiling is regarded one. There is variety of wood ceilings is been discussed in this hub, choosing...