10 More Ways To Save $100 This Year
This time last year I wrote an article called 10 Ways to Save $100 This Year. I thought I would follow that up with some more ideas. There are always ways we can save money; it is just a matter of finding them and doing them. So here are some more ideas for you.
1. Keep a running list of things that you need or want and watch for sales and/or coupons. By waiting (if you can) for items to go on sale and matching coupons if they are available you should be able to save well over $100 each year.
2. Reduce your utilities. Call your phone and cable company and see how you can reduce your bill. Many times there are promotions going on that will lower your monthly bill, or there is a feature that you aren't using and can have dropped. If there isn't anything like that you can always ask them to lower your rate because you are a customer in good standing. It wouldn't hurt to mention deals you saw for other companies, I bet they will match the offer or at least reduce your rate to keep you. Reduce one bill by $10 a month and you have saved $120 in a year.
3. Figure out the drug store game. Chances are good that you have a CVS, Walgreens or Rite Aid near you. These stores, while generally overpriced, have great sales that can be matched with store coupons and manufacturer coupons. Both Walgreens and Rite Aid also offer free after rebate offers that you can take advantage of too. It takes some brain work to figure out the process and make it completely work for you but if you can do it, then you can get most of your toiletry and healthcare items for free. According to my CVS receipt this week I have saved almost $1800 this year at their store.
4. Quit using disposable products. Switch to cloth napkins (these can be made easily) and rags, reuse the grocery bags that come from the store for your trash cans, and purchase reusable feminine products like the Diva Cup, Keeper or cloth pads.
5. Buy a programmable thermostat and set it to lower the temperature in the winter and raise it in the summer when you are away from home or asleep.
6. Drink water. Not the bottled kind, but from the tap. Get a pitcher with a filter if you need to, but drinking water is much cheaper than soda, juice, milk or even lemonade. It is healthier too.
7. Buy an Entertainment Book. If you eat out and visit places like museums and theatres, or participate in activities such as bowling or going to the movies, then purchasing the Entertainment Book for your area will definitely save you $100 a year. There are typically many coupons for buy one get one free dinners, as well as passes for free admittance to museums and things.
8. Switch to generic whenever you can. No not everything will taste the same but some things might even taste better. There are generics for toiletry items as well and even medicines and prescriptions. Find areas where generics work for you and you will save a lot of money.
9. Do your own yard work. This means cutting the grass, shoveling the snow, etc. Do as much as you can yourself. Hiring a service will cost you more than $100 per month in some cases. This could easily save $1000 a year.
10. Find free or low cost activities for you and your family to enjoy. Let me share the two activities my family did over the Christmas break. The first was a trip to Fun & Stuff, basically an indoor playground. The kids earned this one during the fall. It cost us $45 for two hours of entertainment. The next week we decided to go ice skating for some afternoon fun. The total cost was $12 to cover the skate rental, the actual skating was free. It is obvious to me that the lower cost or free entertainment will make a huge difference in anyone's budget over the course of a year.
So there you have it, 10 more ways for you to save $100 this year. I hope 2009 is a wonderful year for everyone!
More by this Author
I recently had a very serious nail infection and I am hoping that my experience will help other people. What started as a fun weekend at a local water park ended in two surgeries and a hospital stay. Nail infections,...