6 ways to shoot the download speed of utorrent, Bitorrent, Azureus
I use torrents a lot to download the latest music, movies, books , software which otherwise costs a lot of money. Though the download speed somtimes bottle necks the bandwidth and I am always looking for tweaks to improve the download speed of Torrents. These techinque I tell below are useful for all softwares like Utorrent, Bitorrent and Azureus like wise.
1. Seed. Downloading speeds will be sub-optimal for everyone unless everyone plays their part and seeds. Private tracker sites are a great way to improve overall speed of the swarm increases when everyone is seeding and downloading in equal measure. upload and download have different bandwidth from ISP so dont worry.
2.Easy connectivity. Make sure you're not "fire-walled" by opening up your incoming ports or by enabling UPnP in your router and anti virus like Kaspersky, Norton, Macfee by adding the ports and software in the trusted zone to aviod any loss of bandwidth.
3. Control upload speed. It is all about striking a balance. You don't want the upload speed to be too high, nor do you want it to be too low. Ideally you want to set your upload speed to be 80% of the maximum possible line speed . A upload of 50 kbps can support download of 200kbps with ease.
4. Select Fresh healthy torrents. Your download will be faster if you choose to download a torrent where there is a good balance of seeds and peers. For instance, Vuze (Azyreus)ranks its search results according to the number of seeds and peers to make this easier. Remember ,The lesser the Leachers the better
5. Be realistic. Check the swarm average and if you're already above average, then you just need to be patient. If you're below average, go back and check some of these other things I've mentioned. Check the Peer average value to see if the download speed is falling or not due to low seed value.
6. Get a Friend Boost. It is just like a Private network in a public network, where you create a network of Friends on Vuze, you agree to seed content to each other on a preferential basis. If one of your friends has a torrent that you want, you will be able to directly use a portion of their bandwidth to get it. In most cases this will increase your download speed.