Is your Family in danger? Are products "made in China" DANGEROUS to your health?
Should we consider banning products made in China?
First of all let me say I have no personal vendetta against China. I have often thought highly of Chinese medicines and believe that a country whose medical research has been around for thousands of years compared to our hundreds, should know quite a bit about the human body and what it needs. I think that China is full of beauty and magnificently fascinating history and hope to someday visit the Great Wall of China. However there is something to be said about what I’ve seen in the news of late. Here are my concerns.
- Surely you’ve heard in the news about Chinese companies recently accused of intentionally tainting pet food with the chemical melamine so that they would appear in tests to have more protein products. The pet food tainting was the last straw for Congressman and Americans alike. The FDA has made changes in its timeline of recalling pet food since than. After thousands of beloved family pets have died its no wonder. All so someone could make an extra buck no doubt.
- Several toys made in China are recalled for containing lead paint. A ghoulish fake eyeball toy made in China was recalled after it was found to be filled with kerosene! Among the toy recalls, the problem is most acute with low-price, no-brand-name toys that are often sold at dollar stores and other deep discounters, which are manufactured and sent to the United States often without the involvement of major American toy importers. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has a complete list of the products involved on their web site.
- Now the FDA is saying avoid toothpaste from China as it may contain a dangerous chemical which is also used in antifreeze and as a solvent. Over 100 people in Panama have died using Shir Fresh toothpaste. The Colgate-Palmolive Company warned that counterfeit toothpaste falsely packaged as "Colgate" has been found in several dollar-type discount stores in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Maryland. There are indications that the product does not contain fluoride and may contain diethylene glycol.
- Another report by the FDA states that they are detaining all farm-raised catfish, bass, shrimp,dace and eel from China over concerns that the fish may be on drugs, specifically antibiotics that are not approved for human consumption in the U.S.
- To add to it all USA Today reported, "The government has ordered a small New Jersey tire importer to recall 450,000 Chinese-made light-truck tires because they might come apart and cause fatal crashes, even though the importer says the costs of a recall would bankrupt it." "The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it told Foreign Tire on Monday to recall the tires. It would be the second recall in a year and a half involving Hangzhou Zhongce tires. In February 2006, Cooper Tire & Rubber recalled 288,000 passenger-car tires from the Chinese maker because they contained "unauthorized material" in the sidewalls. Cooper said that could have caused air leaks and, eventually, tread separation."
Is China Trying To Kill America From The Inside?
This is not the end I’m afraid.
The list of products “made in china” imported to the U.S. is astronomical I’m afraid. This makes me wonder if there is a pattern here with products from China. Maybe what really needs to happen here is for us to consider closing our doors to Chinese exports until we can come up with a solution. It doesn't appear that they have our best interest in mind. The problem is we have our fingers in too many pots in China. The odds of us completely pulling out of the export business with them are pretty slim I realize. But if we could at least reduce the amount exported or redirect our business to other countries at similar prices than maybe these Chinese companies will take a hint and get their act together. Until than, this girl is going to think twice before purchasing anything "made in China" and I'm not likely to be buying any shoes from Wal-mart.
More by this Author
Have you ever been embarrassed because you referred to someone as “white Trash” only to be corrected by your peers that they were indeed “Redneck”? Oh the SHAME! Don’t be caught in this...