How do I enjoy the annual Thanksgiving feast without gaining any weight?
Eat and Run!
The best way not to gain any weight during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays is to minimize your time near the food and drink!
- Stay away from the appetizers. The good ones are high calorie and dinner will be so good that you will probably eat the same amount whether you hit the appetizers or not.
- Fill your plate only once--no seconds! Go easy on the gravy, butter and sweets.
- Get up from the table when you're finished eating--or at least get rid of your plate.
- Watch the alcohol, juice, pop intake--lots of empty calories.
- Make sure the food gets put away right away, or get away from it!
- Get everyone outside for a walk, an impromptu football or soccer game--anything away from the food. There's always yummy leftovers to tempt you.
- If you're desperate, volunteer to wash the dishes! Unless someone feeds you, you cannot eat and scrub at the same time.
- Consider taking your dessert home or eating a sliver of pie instead of a slice.
- Stand firm against the food pushers! You know they're not going to buy you new jeans when you can't zip yours up after one long weekend of indulgence!
Give thanks that enough is enough!
Remember, Thanksgiving was begun to celebrate being alive and having enough to eat after a long hard winter and rough start in the New World. Enjoy spending time with your family and friends and be thankful you have enough to eat, not that you eat too much!
May you and yours have a happy Thanksgiving
More by this Author
One of two huge bowls of popcorn produced! One of the first things I learned to cook when I was a kid was stovetop popcorn. My dad refused to waste money on fancy popcorn like Jiffy-Pop although it looked like so much...