How to Save Money on Scrapbook Supplies
Saving money on scrapbook supplies can be done! Being someone who loves to scrapbook I can definitely attest to how expensive it can be. I have found some ways to keep the costs down though and it makes it much more enjoyable for me. And the more money I save purchasing scrapbooking supplies, means I have more money to purchase more supplies.
- Shop the sales. Craft stores such as Joann's and Michael's run sales every week. Something is always on sale it seems. Most weeks they have a coupon for 40% or 50% off of one item. I use these coupons to purchase the more expensive items that rarely go on sale.
- Get on mailing lists. Most smaller scrapbook stores have mailing lists. Generally they send out a newsletter of upcoming events and things, but frequently these will have coupons in them. Archivers sends out a newsletter with coupons good for free paper (no purchase required). So every couple of months I can get three to five sheets of cardstock for free. Other coupons included are dollars off a certain item or a percentage off of any item.
- Stock up when something you use a lot of is on sale. When paper is four or five for $1 I stock up big time. When accessories are on sale I purchase a lot. I try to never buy something that isn't on sale. Even adhesives go on sale. I normally get mine at Archivers when they run a buy one get one free special on certain adhesives.
- Shop online. There are many discount scrapbook stores online. These online prices will be lower than the regular prices at the local stores. Usually if you spend a certain amount you can get free shipping, so this can be a good deal if you don't have access to a local scrapbooking store.
- Win an auction. Ebay has thousands of scrapbook supply auctions ending each day. I have had good luck getting large groups of items for the price of one or two of the items at the store. Shipping is extra and you do have to be careful who you buy from. Check the shipping amount to make sure it is reasonable and always check a seller's feedback. Ask any questions before you bid to make sure you know all the details.
- Use more pictures and less accessories. After all it is about the pictures right? When I look through scrapbook magazines, they generally have only one or two pictures per page. I would never get all my scrapbooking done if I just put one or two pictures on each page. But it is also going to get really expensive to scrapbook that way. Keep the focus on the pictures with one or two well placed accessories and you will keep your costs down as well.
Scrapbooking is something I love to do, but it can easily cost a small fortune. There are so many items out there to buy, and so many that you actually need in order to scrapbook. Even so, I always purchase the basics such as albums, page protectors, and adhesives on sale as well. Just like any other item - everything goes on sale eventually. You just have to be patient and wait for it to happen, and you have to plan ahead so that you will be able to take advantage of the sales when they come around.
More by this Author
I recently had a very serious nail infection and I am hoping that my experience will help other people. What started as a fun weekend at a local water park ended in two surgeries and a hospital stay. Nail infections,...