Roles of Caregivers for the Elderly
Roles of the caregiver for the elderly:
1. Every caregiver should know a lot of thing about the elderly
his likes, dislikes, his family, ailment affecting him, his character and his personality. Only then, will the caregiver be able to understand the needs and behavior of the aging employer
2. Every caregiver must know and understand her other duties and responsibilities
3. Every caregiver must be able to individualize and find answer to such questions like:
How is the fragile, white haired lady with shaking hands different from her equally elderly friend who visits her from time to time. What are the unique abilities, interest, problems, strength of each of these seniors that I encounter daily?
How varied, exciting, traumatic are each lifetime experiences?
What skills and personal strength can she shared with others?
4. Every caregiver must express warmth and concern towards the welfare of the elderly, especially one with a poor self-image and many feelings of inferiority. Reassure the senior’s actions, ignore negative behavior and have patience and stamina for strength and moods.
5. Give Hope
This is the most important skills in working with an elderly who has given up hope that life can ever be any better. Without hope, there can be no change.
6. Assist as little as possible in tasks that the senior can usually handle himself. The less dependent he is on you the more independent he feels.
7. Use his wisdom and make him feel needed and wanted. Be generous in your expression of appreciation towards his advice and ideas.
8. Encourage him to socialize, to volunteer, to visit his family. Do not stay too long during visits.
9. When friend and relatives neglect to call, remind them that once every two weeks call is very much appreciated and that elderly really look forward to such calls. Remind them also that children’s called are very important.
10. Be a good listener. Many times, elderly may simply want you to listen.
11. Smile a lot
Be a friend and a companion
12. Learn how to keep secrets.
When an elderly is upset, he may speak his mind without due regard to who is listening. Become a selective listener and avoid repeating matters that may not be welcomed by others.
13. As health deteriorates and more needs surface, find out how to cope with them and share knowledge with the elderly.