South Beach Diet Phase 1 Advice & Tips
I've done South Beach Diet enough times, and have learned a few things along the way that I'd like to share with you. Some of my tips are not strictly for Phase 1, but since that is the strictest phase and the hardest to stay on, that's what I'm primarily going to focus on here.
1. Read the book more than once--Whether it's the initial blue book, or one in the cookbook series, don't just read the book once and think you understand the diet completely. I have gone back to refer to things, but what I've found most helpful is reading the front part of the book that explains the diet two or three times. After you've completed the diet's toughest phase, and have gone back to it, you'd be surprised at how much you forgot about the first time, and how things can sink in the second or third time around to help you understand the mechanics of it all.
2. Pack snacks, and pack lunches. It's so difficult to adhere to Phase 1 if you do not properly prepare. And one of its most important principles is to eat six times a day, focusing on protein-packed snacks in between meals. So unless you work from home or are home all the time, it's important to have things on hand in your briefcase or in your workplace such as raw nuts, string cheese or raw vegetables and hummus.
3. Try to avoid restaurants, especially on Phase 1. I have written many hubs on what to order at various chain and fast food restaurants, but that doesn't mean it isn't easier to prepare your meals at home. This way you have control over what you're eating and on your portion sizes. I'm not saying you shoudn't eat out at all, but on Phase 1 it's easier to and less tempting not to.
4. Vary your foods as much as possible. We are creatures that need variety to keep our interest, and the South Beach Diet is no different. So it's important not to eat the same things each day, to vary your meals and snacks as much as possible. Even if you don't cook or cook well, there are ideas at the beginning of each book for easy meals and snacks that require little preparation. And even some of the recipes are very simple and easy.
5. Do the diet with someone. This will keep you motivated and interested. Also, join the South Beach Diet website, which has so many tips, recipes, and other folks you can talk to you about following the diet.
More by this Author
If you are a patient experiencing back pain, and have tried numerous treatment methods, only to find that they help just a little, or not as much as you would like, then maybe your next step is an epidural steroid...