1 cup rice
2 cups water
2 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon cater sugar
1 teaspoon salt
Wasabi to taste
Salmon or tuna
1 small cucumber
½ small avocado (optional)
3 tablespoons pickled ginger or soy sauce for dippings
1. Wash the rice in cold water until the water runs clear; drain thoroughly. Place the rice and water in a medium pan. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until all water is absorbed. Cover and reduce heat to very low and cook for another 4 -5 minutes. Remove the pan form the heat and cool, covered, for about 10 minutes.
2. Add the combined vinegar, sugar and salt to the rice, tossing with a wooden spoon until the rice is cool.
3. Place one sheet of nori on a piece of greaseproof paper, or bamboo mat, on a flat surface; pat a quarter of rice along one long side of the nori, leaving a 2 cm border around the remaining three sides. Spread a very small amount of Wasabi down the centre of the rice. Cut the fish into thin strips. Cut the cucumber and avocado into matchstick size. Arrange a quarter of the pieces of fish, cucumber, avocado and ginger or vegetables on top of the Wasabi stripe.
4. Using the paper or mat as a guide, roll nori up firmly form the bottom, enclosing rice around centered ingredients. Roll nori sheets.
5. Using a sharp flat bladed knife, cut the roll into 2.5 cm rounds. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Makes about 30
More by this Author
No comments yet.