There a loads of benefits of having pets which I will comment on below.
1. If you have children, they are very important to have around the house so as to teach your children how to be kind and caring for animals which also teaches them to be kind and caring in general.
2. If you live alone they are a lot of company and fill up your life with extra things to do such as taking your dog for a walk or playing with your cat. These things also help to keep your fit.
3. If you are elderly they are company again and also make you go for walks thus keeping you mobile and flexible.
4. If you suffer from high blood pressure or anxiety the mere act of stroking an animal has a very calming effect.
5. A dog can be quite a deterrent for burglers who are thinking of robbing your home.
6. A cat is good for getting rid of any mice or rats that you may have lurking in or near your home.
7. If you are single, taking a dog for a walk gives you more chance of meeting other dog owners also walking their dogs and maybe you end up by making friends.
8. You can train your dog to fetch the newspaper for you and other minor household chores.
9. You can enter dog competitions and meet other dog owners.
10. When walking alone in the evening a dog can deter a possible mugger.