In answer to the question 'goal setting - how to get started?' I recommend the following 5 steps:
1. Ask yourself 'what is the thing I most want to achieve?' There may be several things. Write them down. Then prioritise them, and allocate your time and effort according to your priorities.
2. Write down your goal as clearly and specifically as you can. And when you've written it down, visualise yourself having achieved the goal. Visualise it with emotional intensity.
3. Set a deadline for achieving the goal. But just as important, break down the achievement of your goal into sub-goals which you achieve along the way to your goal, set 'stepping stone' deadlines for achieving each step.
4. Now start to take action towards your goal. Action is crucial, don't just daydream or endlessly plan. You have to make action the very centre of your goalsetting.
5. Now you've started to take action, monitor your progress constantly, and be prepared to adapt your tactics and strategies to changing circumstances. If you're not on schedule to achieving your goal, analyse why, and act to get yourself back on course. Sometimes it's just a case of working harder, or changing your deadlines to more realistic deadlines. Or you may have to change the way you're tacking the task, ie working smarter not just harder.