Preparation of Idly as follows
2 cups Rice
1 cup Urad Daal (white)
1 1/2 tblsp Salt
A pinch of Baking Soda
Ghee or oil for greasing
* Pick, wash and soak the daal overnight or for 8 hours.
* Pick, wash and drain the rice. Grind it coarsely in a blender.
* Grind the daal into a smooth and forthy paste.
* Now mix the grinded rice and daal together into a batter.
* Mix salt and set aside in a warm place for 8-9 hours or overnight for fermenting.
* Idlis are ready to be cooked when the batter is well fermented.
* Grease the idle holder or pan well and fill each of thm with 3/4th full of batter.
* Steam cook idlis on medium flame for about 10 minutes or until done.
* Use a butter knife to remove the idlis.
* Serve them with sambhar or chutney.