The Gift of Gloves: Buying by Personality
The Gift of Gloves - Your Guide
Gloves have been around for centuries, and today we have about a million different styles to choose from. Often not the first thing we think to give for a gift, gloves are used by everyone at one point or another during the winter, and as a result are a useful, practical, and stylish gift that can be given to both adults and kids. But with so many varieties to choose from, how do you know which kind to buy for the people you know?
Here are the hot styles of the season and who to buy them for:
- Cable Knit – a classic, soft style in a variety of colors, these gloves are made of wool, so they’re warm and comfy. Cable knit gloves are loved by adults and kids alike, and are very versatile. In bright colors or made with multicolored strands, cable knit gloves are well suited to kids and women, and in darker colors such as black, navy, and brown, they make a toasty and stylish gift for men.
- Water Proof – a must-have for fans of outdoor sports and especially kids, water proof gloves protect your hands from the wetness of snow and slush, keeping your paws dry and warm for hours. Kids adore these gloves, as they can play in the snow without worrying about their gloves getting soaked and fans of outdoor sports like skiing and snowboarding need them to protect against frost bite. With a sporty look and available in every color and size, it’s easy to find waterproof gloves for your favorite tyke or winter sports enthusiast this holiday season.
- Leather – a truly timeless style, a good-quality leather glove can have a long life and serve you faithfully. Leather gloves are water proof, an added bonus, and are available in fashionable blacks, chocolate browns, tans, lightly tinted greens, reds, or purples, and even a chic equestrian-inspired style. They are the perfect gift for a sophisticated loved one, male or female.
- Opera Length – for the dedicated fashionista or drama queen, opera-length gloves, often made of cozy knits or sometimes leather, make a seriously stylish statement this season. Surprisingly affordable opera-length gloves add cutting flair and a touch of luxury to any outfit, especially if they’re in hot colors like charcoal grey, purple, and black.
- Leather Half Gloves – a unique style of glove that only covers the fingertips, half gloves are ideal for transition weather (think early spring, late fall) when your hands need extra warmth but winter gloves are too thick and stuffy. Leather half gloves add personality and polish to your everyday look, and are available in black, white, red, and even purple and pink. This playful glove is sure to excite the adventurous side of any woman.
More by this Author
We white people feel entitled to don the garb of any and all cultures, but it's often inappropriate. Here's a list of racist Halloween costumes that we absolutely should not wear.