10 Great Things You Can Buy for $10 Million: You Know You Want Them
© 2012 by Aurelio Locsin.
Amassing $10 million is easy if you sell your tech company IPO shares, buy and sell classic cars or win the lottery. If you need advice on where to spend your windfall, check out these options, listed in no particular order.
- Vacation Home in Thailand ($10 million): This six-bedroom, 31,000-square-foot holiday home perched on a hill on a private island. It boasts a pool, spa, gym and electric golf-cart for the two-minute drive to the beach. For an additional price, you have the option to add separate bedrooms for the servants required to keep up such luxury.
- Diamond Anniversary Chandelier ($10 million): Designed by Hearts On Fire, this massive light show decorated the Green Room of the 2008 Emmy Awards, which celebrated its 60th (Diamond) Anniversary. It features about 3,300 diamonds weighing more than 1,000 carats.
- Three-Masted Schooner ($10.1 million): This new 190-foot long modern schooner, designed by Pavel Shaposhnikov, recalls the Golden Age of Sail with its multiple masts. But it also sports an engine so you can get underway even without the wind. The interior will be customized to you but includes an integrated computer-based entertainment and automation system.
- Broadway Production ($10 million): The average cost of a Broadway musical is now $10 million However, some, such as The Lion King, may run as much as $20 million. Ten years ago, a musical cost only $1 million.
- Annual Budget for the University of Utah College Football Team ($9.9 million): Despite the $10 million dollar price tag, the Utah Utes’ budget is actually one of the two lowest in the Pac-10, which is the schools league. With only nine wins in the 2009 season, the school’s victories costs about $1.1 million each. Compare this to the $6.85 million budget for Boise State, with 13 wins at only $527,000 each.
- 100 Seconds of Super Bowl Advertising ($3 million per 30 seconds): If you want to enrich your college team’s coffers, advertising it on the Super Bowl can offer maximum bang for the buck. This was the cost to screen a network for the 2011 Super Bowl, not counting production costs. But advertisers are guaranteed about 100 million viewers with residual media attention on the commercials. Prices are likely to go up.
- Low-Power TV Station in New York City ($10 million). You can also reap your Super Bowl bonanza by broadcasting it on your own 3.5-kiloWatt TV station. One example is WPXO-LP in East Orange New Jersey. It offers Spanish-language programming from CaribeVision to the New York City area, which is considered the top television market. Low-power stations in smaller markets can be had for over a million.
- Senatorial Campaign for Missouri ($10.3 to $12.09 million): The 2010 elections for Missouri senator showed the typical amounts needed to run for a U.S. Senate seat in a small state. The losing candidate, Democrat Robin Carnahan, spent $10.3 million and garnered 41 percent of the votes. The winning candidate, Republican Roy Blunt, spend $12.09 million and got 54 percent of the vote.
- Hawthorne Suites by Wyndham Franchise ($208 thousand to $10.5 million): If you want a return on your spending, start up a hotel such as Hawthorne Suites. Costs vary considerably by location but include construction, inventory, equipment and franchise fees. Aside from the rooms, you’ll need to plan for a buffet area for the complimentary breakfast, exercise facilities and on-site laundry. Yearly franchise fees run $40,000 plus 5 percent in royalties.
- Heavenly ‘70’ Bra ($10 million): Supermodel Tyra Banks revealed this one-of-a-kind Victoria’s Secret creation in the company’s 2004 annual fashion show. The garment features 3,000 diamonds and has a 70-carat diamond as its centerpiece. For 2011, the company showcased the more modest gem-studded Fantasy Treasure Bra, which was modeled by Miranda Kerr and cost only $2.5 million.
If you’ve got a little less to spend, check out 10 Great Things You Can Buy for A Million Dollars: Go Ahead and Dream.
What are your going to buy with your $10 million?See results without voting
- LUXE Source | LUXE Magazine - The Luxury Home Redefined
Explore the best in design, from the pages of Luxe Interiors + Design Magazine. View the most comprehensive collection of luxury homes, spaces and styles online—from architecture and landscape design to custom kitchens and baths, living and dining ro
- Watches, Jewellery and Accessoires
FELDO leaves the manufacturing of its watches and luxury goods to the best companies in order to reach the highest levels in design and production. Specifically, the watches (luxury goods) are manually developed by Swiss watchmakers and German goldsm
- Accountant Salary Information | Accountant Salary Info
Accountant Salary Info. Discover the salary of those who tally your finances.
More by this Author
If you just cashed in your latest stock options, hit the big jackpot at Las Vegas or are burning a hole in your pocket with your late uncle’s bequest, here are ten suggestions on where to spend your money.
Only the upper echelon of business tycoons, high-tech geniuses, entertainment and sports stars, and national lottery winners can lay their hands on $100 million. But if you’re one of them, you’ll appreciate...
Engineers apply theoretical knowledge of math and the physical sciences to create practical solutions for everyday problems. The following list shows the top 10 engineering disciplines that will add the most jobs,...