50 ways to save your money
Make more food at home!
50 ways to save money! In times of financial insecurity ways to save money are always welcome. so here are 50 of them!
1. Buy In bulk- Buy items that you use a lot of in bulk, for example toilet rolls. Don't be tricked into buying items that you won't use... That would just be waste!
2. Buy the store brand- for many items the difference in quality is minimal
3. Go to farmers markets- the food is fresher, often cheeper and you know where it comes from
4. Only use seasonal ingredients- those ingredients sourced locally will be cheaper and healthier for the environment too.
5. Turn off the lights- when you are not in the room. This saves electricity and will save money too
6. Turn off appliances at the wall- appliances that you leave on stand-by or have a light on even when they are off are vampirific and use electricity when they are not being used
7. Grow your own vegetables- especially from seeds of vegetables you have bought eg capsicum, tomato and chillies
8. Wash clothes in cold water ie set the washer cycle to cold. No more paying for hot water
9. If you have children- pass on old clothes to your friends and start a club
10. Keep your car tuned up-serviced cars use less fuel
11. Keep your tyres at the right pressure- it will use less fuel
12. Walk or use public transport when you can
13. Plan your meals before shopping so you only buy what you need
14. Reuse plastic containers
15. Bring lunch from home instead of buying it
16. If you must buy coffee out bring your own mug... you will get a discount
17. Join shopping club/coffee clubs that are free to get free offers and products
18. Shop for specials: look in papers for specials and shop accordingly
19. Buy Christmas cards/decorations straight after Christmas- you will save lots
20. Be organised with meals-so that you dont get tempted to eat out
21. When you have a job to be done phone around and go with the lowest quote
22. When getting insurance get quotes and compare prices and the product disclosure documents.
23. Search for a bank account that suits your usage and has the lowest fees
24. Go to garage sales and swap meet to buy goods
25. Sell unwanted items on Ebay or swap meets or a garage sale
26.Only buy what you need. Do you really need that new dress/pair of shoes etc
27. Have a uniform for work ie create a work look and then buy similar clothes which are just for work
28. Instead of buying books use the library
29. If you must buy books go to secondhand stores or Amazon
30. Offer to pay friends in kind for help eg I make bread for a lady who takes up my trousers for me
31. Carpool to work
32. If you and a friend need a babysiter, pool for one for all of the children
33. When buying new appliances buy ones which are energy efficent, they will save you in the long run!
34. When using the oven cook your mains and your dessert at the same time!
35. Make more food at home instead of buying processed food eg yogurt
36. Budget: if you dedicate money for specific purposes you will save money
37. Look at your spending habits: when are you most prone to spending money... make an effort to avoid these triggers
38. Eat healthily and exercise. This will save you money as you will spend less on your health
39. Use Skype and an internet phone instead of a landline
40. Only use a dishwasher and washing machine when they are full
41. Use a detergent ball instead of detergent in the washing machine
42. If you travel internationally buy alcohol duty free
43. Hang wet clothes on hangers, you may not need to iron them afterwards
44. Recycle paper
45. Mend clothes instead of purchasing new ones
46. Start a book club to share books
47. Use a reusable water container instead of buying bottled water
48. Use water filters instead of bottled water
49. Bring your own shopping bags
50. Pay bills on time, so you don't pay late fees
More by this Author
Growing herbs in a tropical climate can be challenging but oh so rewarding! So come on down and have a go!