Becoming an Avon Representative: A simple guide on how to become an Avon representative in the UK
This is an outline on how to become an Avon representative in the UK. Being an Avon representative is increasingly becoming a popular way of earning and this page should give an outline on how to set about becoming an Avon representative in the UK. If you are based in the US, see the US page on how to become an Avon representative in the United States and if based in Canada see this page.
What does the job involve?
Avon is the world's largest direct selling company, operating extensively throughout the English speaking world including the United States, Canada, Australia and of course the UK. Across the planet over 5 million work as Avon representatives, with new people becoming Avon representatives all the time.
Avon representatives in the UK most famously depend on the Avon catalogue, which is also known as the Avon brochure. This is handed out by the Avon representative to friends and family members. In addition, it is delivered direct to people's houses and left in popular areas with waiting rooms, such as take-away restaurants, hairdressers and doctors surgeries. Whilst there is a website, it appears to be more of a traditional online retailing model, with little input from the Avon representatives. Once the catalogue has been delivered, the Avon representative has to collect it and any orders. They will then pass on the orders to the company, who will deliver the goods back to the representative for delivery to the individual customers.
Advantages of the role
Before deciding to become an Avon representative it is important that one knows just what exactly the job which they may be starting will involve. What follows on are some of the advantages associated with becoming an Avon representative:
- Earn money. Possibly the biggest reason why anyone becomes an Avon representative is so they can earn money. The exact amount depends on the amount of work put in, but it can range from being a supplement to a primary income up to a full time wage. There is a tiered system with sales over £128 earning a commission of 25% and those over £68 earns the Avon representative a rate of 20%.
- Choose amount of work done. After becoming an Avon representative an individual is able to choose how many hours they are willing to commit to being an Avon representative.
- Decide your own hours. Many people who have become an Avon representative say a major reason for doing so is because the role can generally be made to fit around other commitments, whatever they may be.
- Discounted products. Once becoming an Avon representative in the UK an additional perk of the job is the discounts available on many Avon products which can be 50% or more. Linked to this is the fact that Avon often allow their representatives to purchase the latest products before the general public get the chance to.
- Potential for career progression. Above the role of Avon representative there is the role of sales leader. If an individual chooses to become an Avon representative sales leader there is additional work, and responsibility, but there is compensation in the form of earning commission based on the sales of those who are managed. Thus it is in the interests of a sales leader to recruit a large, motivated team and show them exactly how to be a successful Avon representative.
Disadvantages of the role
However, in the balance of fairness it is also only correct that I also explain some of the disadvantages which you will encounter if you become an Avon representative.
- There is some cost to start. Upon becoming an Avon representative in the UK there is a charge of £15. This is taken out of the earnings from the first two orders.
- There is a small ongoing cost. Items such as brochures, catalogues, samples etc need to be purchased. However, hopefully by then you will have become a very accomplished Avon representative and so this charge will just be deducted from the earnings.
- There is not complete flexibility since the delivery needs to be made at a pre-determined time.
- Extra costs for becoming a sales leader. If you decide that the position of sales leader is for you there will be an additional charge of approximately £25.
- Earnings could be limited if there is already someone in the friendship group, family or area who is an Avon representative before you become an Avon representative.
- If a minimum target, of about £68 isn't reached, no commission is paid. However, this should not prevent potential applicants from becoming an Avon representative as it is a very small amount.
How to become an Avon representative within the UK
It is a relatively simple process to become an Avon representative in the UK. One of three options could be taken:
- The first is to either be directly taken on by a current sales leader. This could either be someone who is known to the person previously.
- The person who wishes to become an Avon representative can look for advertising, often in the local press. This will generally have a phone number and email address to apply to.
- Alternatively the person who wishes to become an Avon representative can apply online here.
The second and third options involve applying to Avon directly and they will associate the applicant with a sales leader.
I hope you found this page useful. If you have any questions or other information which you would like to add please do so in the comments section below and good if you choose to pursue becoming an Avon representative.
Photo credit: Distributed under Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivitive Works Generic and taken by a.drian.
More by this Author
What countries in the world have the largest population? This page will tell you!
Valued Opinions is an online paid survey site. This is a simple review of Valued Opinions, as well as an overview on how best to use the site.
There are many different forms of renewable energy. This page provides an overview of the main forms.