Best Budgeting Tips For Families: 10 Top Budgeting Tips For Families That Work
Budgeting Tips for Families
The beauty of families is that a family is a cohesive unit...or it should be.
Families stick together through thick and thin and in hard economic times, thin might be easier to come by and the need for budgeting more intense.
I've always liked the idea of everyone in the family pitching in and helping out....whether it's cooking a meal or cleaning out the garage.
So why shouldn't budgeting be the same way? No matter what age your children are, no matter what form your family unit takes on, budgeting is for everyone.
Also think about the teaching factor. Learning good budgeting habits from early on makes the chances of success at using money wisely later in life a real possibility.
Let's take a look at some of my favorite ideas on budgeting for families.
Budget Tips for Families - Anyone Can Do It!
- Do the dishes and use fewer dishes. Don't get a new glass for every new drink or new cup for every cup of
coffee. Wait to have a full load in the
dishwasher before running. Save up
dishes before washing and don't waste water for washing 2 items.
- Do laundry 1 or 2 times per week. Save up so that you have full loads and can separate them and do them at
one time. Use cold water for wash and
rinse unless absolutely necessary. Use the minimum amount of products in your wash loads and your clothes will last longer!
- Turn off the lights and things not in use! Simple idea that has
around as long as time. If you're not
using it, turn it off. Unplug things not in use and avoid the
electricity vampire effect....it still sucks up your energy even though
it's turned off!
- Pack lunches. Don't eat out.
It's cheaper in the long run to make food
from scratch (see below) and take it to eat for lunch. Think of the
nutritional value alone! People frown on saving money by cutting out
lattes and Cokes but let's face it.....you really can. There's no shame
in saving money AND being healthier.
Make food (and as much as you can) from scratch. In the long run, you'll be healthier for it and it does cost less money. Get everyone involved. It's amazing what a "cooperative way of cooking" will do for a family. I know from experience that the children who watch their parents cooking stick with it and become cooks themselves later in life! This is a great gift to give to your children and one that will help them always know how to care for themselves. It's also fun to try and figure out how to make everything from cleaning products to personal hygiene products from scratch and it saves money!
- Recycle. Don't just put it out at the
curb. Really recycle and take it t the
recycling center and get the money back for bottles, plastic, paper and
whatever else is being recycled in your neighborhood or community. Teach your kids about recycling and get them to pick up what they see someone else throwing on the ground. Teaching your kids to be green starts at home.
- Refuse to buy it if it's not on sale! Novel concept but it will save you
hundreds and thousands of dollars. Do
you have to have it? Or can you find it
on sale somewhere else? Or can you just
wait because eventually almost everything in the world goes on sale sometime! Teach your kids the same concept and you'll have instilled something that will last a lifetime. Instant gratification is a huge problem around the globe and knowing that you can wait is a good thing!
- Don't buy things you don't have
to! If you're dying for that new CD that
just came out and you can't find it on the Internet for free, check it out at
the library and listen to it. Don't buy
the book.....check it out at the library. Don't buy the DVD, check it out at the library, too! There is such a vast amount of waste going on throughout the world isn't it time that we started getting back to less is more? Figure out this one little phrase and say it to yourself each time you think you want to buy something...."Do I need it or do I just want it?" It'll help and it is transmittable to your kids!
- Fix it yourself/do it yourself! People spend dollar after dollar paying someone else to do some things that they can do themselves. Teach your kids to wash the car, mow the lawn, clean the bathrooms. Do you really need to pay someone to do these things or worse yet, do you have to do them all? No good! Everyone in a family needs to learn the beauty of hard work and using that old fashioned thing called elbow grease. Even something like doing a project of painting your living room as a family can save you big time and teach your kids a great skill!
- Think outside the box. Go from encumbered to free. Do you have to pay for an expensive vacation to be a happy family? Do you have to go to some great super crowded place to prove that you can have fun? No! Some of the best vacations or memories can be made right in your own backyard. And if not in your own backyard, close by. Remember those places called parks? They're free! Remember places like beaches or lakes where you can rent a rowboat and have a good old fashioned time for just about nothing? Start thinking of ways as a family that you like to spend your time and then trim down the cost by doing things that don't cost an arm and a leg. Play more games!
How to Start Teaching Budgeting to your Kids
Budget Tips for Families
In short, there are a lot of ways that we can all save money and the beauty of having more people involved as a family unit is that I'll bet you dollars to donuts, you can get some really cool ideas on how to save money from your family!
Sometimes the efforts of many can reap huge rewards. Get invested in budgeting but get your family invested in budgeting. It becomes a bit of a challenge but everyone loves a challenge, right?
There are a lot of ways to save money and we're all looking for ways to keep to a budget and still lead a happy life!
If you have more creative budgeting tips for families, please leave your comments below.
Tips on Family Budgeting
More Budgeting Tips for Families
- 20 Simple Tips for Spending Less Money on Food witho...
Almost all of us have been on the broke college kid diet before. You know, you start to run low on cash and suddenly you find yourself filling up your pantry with Ramen noodles and microwave burritos or you...
- Frugal Entertainment Tips for Families
When you're single, knowing how much money you've got coming in and adjusting your spending accordingly will keep your finances in order. But when you've got a family to take care of, budgeting takes on a new...
- Simple Tricks and Tips for Sticking to a Personal Bu...
People who are concerned about personal finance (and even many people who arent too concerned about it) know that the first thing that you need to do to deal with your own finances is to create a personal...
- Budget Tips for a Miami Vacation
For both old and young, one of the most popular areas to vacation happens to be South Beach Real Estate. It's easy to see why it is such a wonderful place to vacation. Sure, many rich and famous people go...
- Budget Tips for the Whole Family
In today's challenging economic times, learning to budget efficiently is more important than ever before. Although some people automatically think of budgeting as a rather hum-drum experience, it can actually...
- Effective Budgeting Tips for Single Moms
When it comes to budgeting, single mothers are probably one of those people who have a hard time trying to make ends meet with their budget. Single mothers are alone earning money to provide for the needs of...
- Money Saving Tips - for Family's!
Tips on saving money, you and your family can do it! During this economy, we need to make money, save money and consolidate debt as much as possible. This article will help you do that, look and see.
More by this Author
Let's explore the difference between being frugal and being cheap. Which is better, cheap or frugal? And is there really a difference?
Budgeting tips for low income families. All families could benefit from these money saving tips.
EMDR (eye movement desensitization and reprogramming) therapy is useful in treating many anxiety and panic disorders. Learn how to self-administer this therapy anytime and anyplace.