16 Tips to Budget Family Expenses
Frugal Living Daily Tips
Make a budget plan and stick to it, and you will not over spend on things that are not a need. Before going in a store plan on how much you will be spending, and then just spend that amount without going over. If you're serious about your family spending habits, you will use the tools for frugal living.
Budget Family Expenses
- Reduce the use of home products and household utilities. The family can begin using less: toothpaste, dish liquid, shampoo, laundry detergent, electricity, water, and gas. Also wear sweaters or blankets in the winter to save on heating costs. Unplug cell phone chargers, computers, etc., when they're not being used. Don't leave faucet water running while washing dishes or brushing teeth.
- Wash car at home, this will help you save a lot of money. Washing your car at home will help you save on about $85.00 a year, compared to going to a Car Wash.
- Shop at discount stores. Avoid shopping at convenience stores because you're paying more money for the convenience; shopping at grocery stores instead of convenient stores will definitely help with your new frugal living.
- Using credit cards - the major credit cards such as Visa; have lower interest rates than department stores credit cards. But it's better not to use credit cards at all; avoid using credit cards, it's better to use prepaid Visa cards or your bank's debit card.
- Pay with cash 99-100% of the time, this will assist with decreasing your family expenses, tremendously. Using credit will increase the cost of what you buy, which is not a smart idea. But with cash it will be less, and you can negotiate for a lower price on things that you purchase.
"When entering a college/trade school, avoid applying for student-loans, apply for grants/financial aid instead."
Budget Family Expenses
6. Don't shop when you are hungry, because when you are hungry you may buy more snacks or overspend. Eat something before you go grocery shopping.
7. Avoid buying packaged or prepared foods; food like pre-cut potatoes, frozen dinners, and de-boned meats. It's cheaper to prepare your own food at home.
8. Carry your lunch to work or school. Spending $5.00 daily for lunch can add up to $100.00 a month. Most work lunch spaces have a microwave oven; bring your own lunch in a food storage container. And avoid vending machines or convenience stores for snacks like candy bars, chips, sodas, etc. Consider buying these items larger at the grocery store it will be cheaper. Besides, eating dry cereal is a healthier snack and less expensive.
9. Always look out for the best deals, where ever you spend your money.
10. Shop with a list always and NEVER buy things on impulse. Don't buy things near a cash register; they are there to capture your attention.
11. "Buy in Bulk" - buying items in bigger packages or in bulk can save you lots of money. Only buy bigger items that you will use, so that it does not go to waste. Buying in bulk is a huge part of frugal living.
12. Shop the lower shelves at the grocery stores. Off-brand or store brand merchandise is often equal in quality to national brands but is less expensive. Stores usually place more expensive, premium items on eye-level, easy-to-reach shelves.
13. For smarter family spending, stick to your spending limit. If you go over budget in one area, you have to make reductions in other areas.
14. Make you sewing items for your family such as; pajamas, pillows, curtains, table clothes, etc. Sewing on a sewing machine will assist any household that wants to practice maintaining a low spending budget.
15. Your wants and needs have to be reconsidered. Some of the things you consider to be necessities may really be luxuries to which you've grown accustomed to. Things like cable television, special phone features, and name brand clothes, name brand shoes, and name brand foods.
16. Trade services for services with your neighbors; ask your neighbor to baby-sit your children along with hers. Then you can offer to cook dinner for everyone; her children and your children. This is an example of trading services for services. Doing this can save you family expenses and your neighbor as well.
The idea is to possibly get the most out of each dollar. And shop at a discount always, if you're really serious and want to budget your spending habits.
Watch this video - Budget Family Expenses
Save money with low income $4.99
© 2011 Brinafr3sh
More by this Author
If you like sewing and making extra money, add the two of them together and turn it into a business.
Do anyone save money anymore? Shopping with a list of necessities instead of wants, will definitely help. Saving money for a sunny day, can be mind renewing.
Afeni Shakur, the mother of Tupac Shakur, was a former member of the Black Panther Party for Self Defense. Ms. Shakur was a strong black woman, a philanthropist, and a Christian woman.