Use Products From Home to Save Money
Frugal today means living a simpler less wasteful life within our personal finances. It used to mean going without but times have changed. Frugal living can become a habit so that you simply will not buy something that is over priced or unnecessary. It is simply making a choice.
Box of coins
Entertainment - Have fun Without Spending
Everyone likes to spend a little money on entertainment but if you are on a tight budget you have to plan carefully. Try saving money by keeping a change jar in your bedroom and put all your loose change it the jar each night, which will build up to be several dollars in a relatively short time.
Eating at restaurants and going to movies is much more expensive now than it was a few years ago. When the money is adequate pick a nice restaurant and enjoy your outing. Renting movies is cheaper than going to the theaters. If you live going to music concerts, then save up for one that is special to you. If you enjoy theater, sometimes you can find reasonably priced shows at local colleges or small theater groups. Museums and art galleries are always interesting and they are free.
Have a game night with friends or a cookout in the back yard. Go bike riding with your spouse or a friend. Think creatively and you can probably think of many things to do to socialize with family and friends.
Cleaning Recipes with Home Products
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- Mix together and wipe over surfaces
- 1 cup olive oil
- Half cup lemon juice
- Mix together. Use a small amount on a soft cloth and after applying, buff off with a dry soft cloth.
1 cup dry baking soda place on saucer in the back of the refrigerator.
Blocked drain cleaner:
- 1 cup salt
- 1 cup baking soda1 cup vinegar
- Mix together and pour down drain. Leave for several minutes then flush with hot water.
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1 cup salt
- 1 cup borax
- Mix and pour onto the stain. Leave for at least 10 minutes then using a scourer rub off. (only use on surfaces that will not scratch)
- Dry baking soda
- Sprinkle on carpet and leave for 1 hour before vacuuming
Save Money on Groceries
Groceries are a major way you can cut your spending through sales, grocery coupons and wise spending. Cooking differently also can save money.
Use your cheaper cuts of meat and have at least two meatless dinners per week. Make casseroles that will last for two meals. /stay always from processed food as it is more expensive. Use oatmeal for breakfast as it is healthier and cheaper. You can sweeten it up for the children with some honey and maybe add some raisins or other fruit.
Saving Money on Cleaning Products
When you go into the grocery store you will see a huge variety of cleaning products, each one with a different purpose. Buy the stores own brand in a concentrated version if they have one. Buy the largest size as that will work out cheaper over time. When using the products measure the suggested amount. Try any cleaner on a small area first to make sure it does no damage. Why not try to make your own cleaning products?
You can make a multipurpose cleaner with these basic ingredients:
- White vinegar is excellent for killing germs, bacteria and mold.
- Baking soda is a great deodorizer and scourer.
- Lemon juice is useful because the acid provides antibacterial and antiseptic properties, plus it provides a great fresh smell to your home.
- Olive oil is good for polishing wood surfaces and adding shine to stainless steel.
- Salt is a multipurpose cleaner and deodorizer which is great for frugal cleaning due to its cheap price.
Money Saved from Frugel Living
On Assignment: Frugal Family
How to save money with simple home tips.
- Cut your cable bill down by eliminating movie channels or perhaps some other channels that you really don’t watch.
- Turn the lights off when you are not in a room.
- Turn computers off at night as well.
- Use a programmable thermostat to cut down on your utility bills.
- Put a timer on your hot water heater also, and make sure it is wrapped tightly to keep the heat in.
- Use old wash cloths or dish towels to wipe up spills rather than paper towels.
- Learn to cut your children’s hair.
- Do not use your credit cards unless you can pay them off when the bill arrives as not paying interest is a money saving tip.
Frugal Living Books
Eliminate Pests from Your Home
If you have a pest problem there are several natural things that you can do which is healthier for you and your pets, plus they are cheaper.
- To keep flies out of your home have some small pots of basil growing around your home.
- To keep ants out leave cucumber peel on window ledges in the kitchen to deter them. Also wash cabinets with a solution of vinegar and water. Cinnamon or salt sprinkled around the outside of your door with keep ants away.
- Weevils can be kept out by placing a bay leave in pots containing flour and cereal.
- Moths will be kept away by placing mint teabags inside wardrobes and closets.
- Mice will stay away from entering your home by planting peppermint plants around the outside of your home. Also, keep all dry goods inside sealed containers,
- Mint, garlic and basil are all good to have planted around your home as they deter many pests and you can plant them in between your other plants.
How To Live on Practically Nothing
Frugal living isn’t difficult; it is just simple living. You can cut your expenses in a very noticeable way. You will have more money in your savings, and for repairs to your home as periodically they are required. You will have more money to reach your long term financial goals. Perhaps frugal living is a new mindset for you, but you will like the results.
© 2011 Pamela Oglesby
More by this Author
This article explains the best way to plan to pay for college student tuition and expenses. A budget plan for the college students is explained in detail.
There are several ways you can save money with your daily living expenses and build up a savings account for the future. There are multiple suggestions and tricks you might not know.
This article explains the different characteristics of the right and left brain. Brain mapping done at Mayo Clinic is explained from the procedure to the results.Brain anatomy is expained also.