10 Great Things You Can Buy for A Million Dollars: Go Ahead and Dream
© 2012 by Aurelio Locsin.
If you just cashed in your latest stock options, hit the big jackpot at Las Vegas or are burning a hole in your pocket with your late uncle’s bequest, here are ten suggestions on where to spend a million dollars. (Thanks to tammyswallow for giving me the idea with her hub entitled 100 Great Things You Can Buy for A Dollar.)
- New York City apartment ($1.1 million): One bedroom/one bath apartment in 794 square feet with views of downtown Manhattan, the Hudson River and the Statue of Liberty through floor-to-ceiling windows. Common charges run $756 per month and cover a 24-hour doorman, concierge service, lounge, health club and lap pool.
- Lagoon Caye, Belize ($1 million): Ring-shaped 13-acre island with 7,000 square feet of Caribbean Sea frontage and 5,000 square feet of interior lagoon frontage. Interior lagoon runs 25 acres, is 30 feet deep and has a six-foot wide entrance. The island is only 12 miles to the mainland at its closest point.
- Jaguar C-X75 Supercar($1.1 million): Carbon-fiber body with a boosted internal combustion engine that can do 0 to 100 mph in under 6 seconds. And it’s a hybrid that can run up to 30 miles on electric power alone.
- Jeune Femme a L’Ombrelle (Young Lady with the Umbrella) by Auguste Renoir ($1.1 million): Impressionist painting from 1868 measuring 13 x 10 inches, auctioned by Sotheby’s in 2009. Price includes buyer’s premium. Granted, this is an auction item. But it does show that artwork by a master is still within reach.
- Mikimoto Empress Necklace ($996,000): Pink conch pearl necklace with 36.5 carats of diamonds set in platinum. Available from the website but shipping is extra. Returns for full refund or exchange allowed within 15 days.
- Action Comics No. 1 ($1 million): First Superman comic sold by ComicConnect in February 2010. This is up from $317,000 paid for the same issue in March 2009. Again, this is an auction item, but perhaps the price for the next one will fall somewhere between the two.
- Luxor Las Vegas Jackpot Cellphone by Gresso ($1 million): Pure gold case encrusted with black diamonds and back panel of 200-yeard-old African blackwood. Each key is manufactured from a single crystal sapphire that is manually polished.
- 15 Days in the Royal Penthouse Suite, President Wilson Hotel, Geneva, Switzerland ($975,000): $65,000 per night for 18,000 square feet that includes four bedroom, six bathrooms, private elevator and a dining room that seats 26. Room service is available 24 hours a day.
- Two years of service for a domestic staff of five ($1.1 million): Highest annual salaries for employees with at least two years of on-the-job experience including supervisory butler ($180,000), valet ($70,000), private chef ($80,000), personal secretary ($150,000) and housekeeper ($80,000).
- Generous donation to the author of 20 Things You Can Buy for About a Million Dollars ($1 million). And he’ll even write you your very own personalized hub.
What are you going to buy for about $1 million?See results without voting
More by this Author
Only the upper echelon of business tycoons, high-tech geniuses, entertainment and sports stars, and national lottery winners can lay their hands on $100 million. But if you’re one of them, you’ll appreciate...
Amassing $10 million is easy if you sell your tech company IPO shares, buy and sell classic cars or win the lottery. If you need advice on where to spend your windfall, check out these options, listed in no particular...
Engineers apply theoretical knowledge of math and the physical sciences to create practical solutions for everyday problems. The following list shows the top 10 engineering disciplines that will add the most jobs,...