How To Save Money On Exercise Equipment
HOW TO SAVE ON EXERCISE EQUIPMENT
Exercise is an important part of our culture today. It seems like if we don't exercise, we are somehow slacking.
Consider this though....how many hundreds of dollars we spend on gym memberships and exercise equipment only to figure out some excuse not to go or using our equipment to hang our clothes on.
Look around your home and see if you have exercise equipment that you haven't used in months or years and ask yourself how much you paid for it.
Here are some tips on how you can have exercise equipment if you have to have it but not feel quite so guilty about it down the road if you don't use it!
TIPS ON SAVING ON EXERCISE EQUIPMENT
DO YOU REALLY NEED EQUIPMENT OR IS THERE ANOTHER WAY?
If you feel you have to have exercise equipment, that's cool. Consider though that you can actually accomplish exercise without the use of any equipment.
You can do sit-ups, pull-ups, crunches, jogging and cycling all without the use of high-priced equipment.
Here are some great substitutes for exercise equipment!
- STAIRSTEPPER - Any old set of stairs will work instead of a Stairmaster
- WEIGHTS - Rocks, water bottles filled with water of varying sizes, cans of varying sizes...all natural things can serve as weights for weight training
- NATURAL EXERCISING - Anything that you can pull yourself up on, do body presses against are all free exercise equipment
- THE REAL DEAL - Instead of a rowing machine, row a real boat or instead of running on a treadmill, run on a dirt path
SAVING MONEY IF YOU NEED TO BUY FITNESS EQUIPMENT
If you do need to buy fitness equipment, there are a lot of ways that you can save money.
Here are just a few:
- Check out garage sales. Most people selling exercise equipment are selling things they've rarely used if at all! You will be getting prime equipment for next to nothing.
- Thrift stores and consignment shops. Same as garage sales. Most of this equipment is almost brand new, never been used. You can't help but eat up the bargain prices.
- Discount equipment stores. These stores usually offer models that might not be the latest but can yield you big savings.
- On-line purchases. Check out eBay and amazon.com and look for free shipping options. They have new and used equipment for sale at huge savings.
- Check places like Craigslist for people in your area selling their unused or unwanted equipment. You can save lots of money by buying used or slightly used.
- Trade equipment with a friend. Maybe something you have works better than what your friend has and vice versa. At least for a time, try it and see if it works.
HOW TO SAVE MONEY ON EXERCISE EQUIPMENT
These are just some ideas on how to save money on exercise and fitness equipment.
In order to get the most bang from your exercise buck, you'll need to watch your diet and consider lifestyle changes such as participating in outdoor activities.
Joining hiking, skiing or jogging groups can maximize your exercise routine and having the support of other exercise enthusiasts will help you stay motivated and on the path to achieving your goals.
Look into other "free" alternatives such as incorporating your dogs. Take up jogging with them for a free way to exercise or take up urban mushing. It's free except for the initial outlay of equipment. You'll be healthier for it and so will your pups.
In short, there are a lot of ways to save money on exercise with a little creativity. If you have more ideas to share with everyone, please leave your detailed comments below!
More by this Author
This is a rather macabre subject, but let’s face it.....having a funeral can be really, really expensive. When I think about my own funeral, I think I might literally turn over in my grave or something if I...
Let's explore the difference between being frugal and being cheap. Which is better, cheap or frugal? And is there really a difference?
Stopping your dog from engaging in destructive behavior is wisely accomplished by figuring out the root cause of the destructive behavior and then fixing the situation.