How To Save Money At The Pump
HOW TO SAVE ON GASOLINE
Surprisingly, there are some little known facts about gasoline that consumers should know.
In a sagging economy, gasoline has become a major purchase these days and knowing the facts about saving money on fuel gets more important every day as the numbers change.
Let's examine some facts about gas stations and gasoline in general.
TIPS ON GASOLINE AND BUYING GAS
- Pricing is everything. Go to
fueleconomy.gov for a daily look at who is selling gas for the cheapest price in your
area. A little known fact is that gas
stations have to buy gas from the company that owns them. So for instance,
Shell can't shop around and buy from BP or vice versa. Oil companies control the price of gas and
then they base their pricing for that individual station by location, competition,
etc. So maybe that guy isn't quite the
tightwad you thought he was by not dropping his price to match the other guy's
- Credit card fees. These little babies actually drive up the cost of gas. Credit card company fees can be 5 cents per gallon when gas is $2 a gallon (when was the last time we saw that?) and they jump to 7.5 cents per gallon when it hits $3. Passing the buck so to speak, gas prices shoot up again to cover the fees and eventually drop when the price of gas drops - but it takes time for you and I to see that at the pump.
I hope you'll get some great ideas on how to save money at the pump.
- Cash is king. Paying cash for gas is
the best way all around - and by that, I don't mean using your debit card. First of all, there are usually fees
associated with using your debit card at the gas station, so are you really
saving any money? Secondly, in order to
cover the debit card transactions, sometimes gas stations will ring up an extra
$20 on your account to potentially cover the transaction while it travels from the
station to your account. If you happen to
be low on funds, you can end up overdrawn because the service station has
covered its rear with your money.
- Better gasolines at different stations are a myth. If you're paying for premium gasoline that your car doesn't need to perform, you're already throwing away money. If you're buying a specific gasoline with additives such as Techron to get your engine to perform better, you're also throwing away money. Additives do help keep your engine clean - it's true - but the fact is that all gasolines, down to the cheapest one on the market have additives and they have to have them by law. A study by Florida inspectors found that there was absolutely no difference between one gas and another in terms of meeting fuel standards. What's more, gas companies share pipelines so one station may be selling gas refined by its competitor and vice versa.
IMPORTANT TIP ON HOW TO SAVE MONEY AT THE PUMP WITH CARDS
- Check out gas cards before you sign up. If you're thinking that a gas card is the way to go to purchase gas, make sure you check out the different cards. If you buy a proprietary card, obviously you won't be able to pump at different stations. Some cards also have very high percentage rates, don't offer gas rebates, and may not have fraud protection on them. Take a look around on the Internet. There are low interest cards out there but the rates can fluctuate - so always check before using them.
SAVING MONEY AT THE GAS PUMP
In short, there are some facts we as consumers simply haven't been told about how gas is sold.
These are important things to know and hopefully they can help us all avoid the pitfalls at the pump of paying too much for gasoline.
Taking the time to check out the current "hot spots" for the best deals each day can save you money.
Also getting rewards say through grocery bills and 10 cents off per gallon is another great way to bring down the cost of fuel.
Do whatever you can to save on fuel costs but the most important (and the easiest) way to save money at the pump is to drive less and drive a fuel efficient car.
If you have more ideas to contribute on saving money at the pump, please leave your comments below.
More Money Saving Tips from Audrey Kirchner
- Money Saving Tips For Computer Users: Saving Money O...
HOW TO SAVE MONEY ON COMPUTERS Computers are generally a large expense and one that weighs heavily on your mind when you go to purchase one. Especially if you're one of those people who doesn't buy a...
- How To Save Money On Funeral Costs: Beating The High...
This is a rather macabre subject, but lets face it.....having a funeral can be really, really expensive. When I think about my own funeral, I think I might literally turn over in my grave or something if...
- How To Save Money By Having A Living Will
Outlining a living well is a simple task but one that many people, especially seniors, put off. Why? Because no one likes to think about dying. Do you think it's possible to save money by simply having a...
- 7 Easy Tips On How To Save Money On Your Taxes
EASY TIPS ON HOW TO SAVE MONEY ON YOUR TAXES Everyone loves paying taxes.......yeah, right! Paying taxes though, like death, is inevitable. However, with a little bit of help and some great...
- Saving Money: How To Save Money On Prescription Drug...
HOW TO SAVE MONEY ON PRESCRIPTION MEDICATIONS In the tougher economy these days, people are finding it harder and harder to make ends meet. Unfortunately, one of the aftershocks of a busted economy is...
- How To Save Money On Vacation: Try A Budget Friendly...
HOW TO HAVE A BUDGET FRIENDLY VACATION Saving money has become a science for many people these days. With unemployment at an all time high and folks trying to conserve wherever they can, sometimes...
- How To Save Money On Construction Materials
HOW TO SAVE MONEY ON CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS When you think of construction materials, we often think of building a new house. However, construction materials are necessary for any type of...
- How To Save Money On Your Pets: Create A Pet Budget
As you can probably tell, my
- How To Save Money On Home Decorating: Do It Yourself...
SAVING MONEY ON DECORATING Lets face it.....decorating costs money. If you dont have a lot of money, can you still decorate and have your home decked out the way you want to? Of course you can! ...
- Cutting Costs: How To Save Money On Home Decorating
HOW TO SAVE ON HOME DECORATING Whether you live in an apartment or you own a 3,000 square foot home, home decorating can really get expensive. If you have a huge budget for home decorating,...
More by this Author
Save money on heating bills with infrared heaters. They heat the entire house including the walls, ceiling and floors and retain the heat!
Let's explore the difference between being frugal and being cheap. Which is better, cheap or frugal? And is there really a difference?
I learned the hard way not to put an ice pack directly on my skin. Here's how to treat ice burns quickly, and how to avoid them as well.