How To Make a Good Income From Consultancy
Why start a consultancy?
A consultancy business is really a catch all title for working for yourself. It involves taking any skills that you have and turning them into a business. Consider this - you work for a living and somebody pays you. They think that you are worth paying for and are using you to make them profit. Why not then cut out the middle man and make yourself some extra profit?
It is not always as easy as this - your job provides you with the work and takes the risk of paying you. You will be taking on these duties hopefully to make some more money but also there is a big attraction for many to either work for themselves, work form a home base - or simply to get rid of their boss!
Not everybody has the right temperament and personality suited to working alone for themselves. Before embarking in such a course you must always ask yourself some searching questions about your suitability for being your own boss.
Case study: forensic accountant
If you have accountancy skills, you might consider the possibility of setting up a forensic accountancy consulting business. Most accountants in general practice will have undertaken some form of financial investigation from time to time - after all an audit is only a particular framework for one style of accounting investigation.
As an experienced accountant you will have the skills to carry out reviews of accounting records in all manner of disputes - from fraud investigations to matrimonial disputes to loss of profits when two companies are arguing over contracts. You may even have already been involved in providing valuations for clients who want to sell their businesses.
A forensic accounting consultancy is one area where you can apply the experience and abilities from a typical employment within a niche area as a specialist - working from home as a sole practitioner.
Other examples of employments that will provide a sound base for setting up a consultancy business are lawyers, web site designers, computer programmers, architects, health and safety workers, teachers of all subjects...the list is endless.
Key considerations for a consultancy business
- You will be faced with working on your own. If you are used to being part of a large team then working as a self contained consultant may not be for you. On the other hand many people yearn to be their own boss and be in charge of their day to day working lives.
- Nobody will give you work. Do not think that you can simply place an advert in the local paper or Yellow Pages and expect the work to come rolling in. You will have to go out and win the work, often in a competitive market place. This means that you must draw upon your whole network of business contacts and also be prepared to make many more. This can involve cold calling which many people feel uncomfortable doing. However, a tenacious and well researched approach will bring rewards.
- You will need to keep your business records in good shape and ensure that you record every expense as well as your income. You will need to note all inquiries and follow them up repeatedly. You will need to manage your cash flow - remember many new businesses fail in their first years and almost always this is down to badly managed cash flow.
- Pay your taxes on time - trying to avoid taxes will always end in tears, no matter how much it hurts writing those large cheques!
- Don't get bogged down - plan breaks to your business away from your desk or office. Take coffee breaks in town, schedule exercise sessions at the gym or times when you can take your dog for a walk. These breaks will energize you and recharge your batteries.
- There are times when you will be busy and have to work all hours. Other times there will be no work. Learn to enjoy the down times, rather than worrying about lack of money coming in. In this way, when the work is there you will be ready to give it you all.
- Why Choose A Career As A Forensic Accountant?
A forensic accountant is an accountant who investigates rather than provides accountancy services. He or she is effectively looking into the accounting activities carried out by others and reporting on...
- How to Make HubPages a Residual Income Opportunity
I started using HubPages about 10 months ago and currently have a total of 30 now including this and another that I am working on. The reason I started to write Hubs was because I had just learned that back...
- How to Investigate and Find a Suitable Business Opportunity Lead
There are many people who are driven to seek out an opportunity that they can develop in order to make money. They will be surfing the Internet constantly, browsing papers and magazines and...
- How To Find The Perfect Income Opportunity
Many people may stumble upon this article because they are browsing the web for money making ideas. There is a huge body of people that want to earn more money than their regular job gives - or alternatively...
- Are You Interested in a Forensic Career?
When you hear about a forensic investigation or the work of a forensic scientist a rather glamorous image is conjured up. The word forensic means "pertaining to the court" and therefore is applied to people...
Some resources to get you started
Is consultancy right for you?
The good thing about consultancy is that there are many good books on the subject and it is always worth doing your research before taking the leap. One of the big pointers that you will get from this type of research is continually being asked the question "...is working as a consultant right for you...?"
A consultant running his or her own business needs to be a confident person, able to approach strangers and convince them that you are capable of adding value to them. A timid approach will not work, no matter how clever you are or how much skill you have in a certain area. You must make people relax with your presence, feel secure that you will be a safe pair of hands and importantly, that they will like working with you.
If you do feel that consultancy is for you, you will be embarking on what can often be the most rewarding of careers. It can be financially rewarding and very fulfilling. You will appreciate being your own boss so long as you can maintain a serious and diligent approach to developing you client and contact list and maximising every opportunity that presents itself to you.
More by this Author
Fish keepers will know how expensive such a specialist pass time can be, especially when valuable koi carp are concerned. Saving money by building your own equipment is not a "cheap" approach, but can be...
Farming fish is a major part of the world's food production. However, ornamental fish are also farmed but not on such a large scale. Rearing aquarium fish for a profit is also possible for the hobbyist or small scale...
Setting up a fish tank anywhere has been made very easy by the influx of "add water and go" style kits such as the ones described in this article. They are ideal for offices, bedrooms and other areas that need...
No comments yet.