How to Pause or Suspend Your Netflix Subscription Account
Netflix is one of my absolute favorite services that I subscribe to each month. Aside from my cellphone and my internet subscriptions, I would say Netflix is my third "most needed" service! That being said, it may interest you to know that Netflix offers a complimentary and sometimes very useful service for their subscribers. Did you know that you can pause your Netflix subscription without cancelling? It is very easy to do and it can help you save money and perhaps more importantly, the hassle of re-joining Netflix and adding titles to your queue.
Reasons you might need to pause your Netflix Subscription:
- Going on Vacation
- Moving and are in between mailing addresses
- Major project to focus on at work
- Time management purposes (i.e. if I really wanted too, I could suspend my subscription during mid-terms next week...)
- Military Duty
- Giving up Netflix for Lent (I considered...)
- Netflix doesn't even need a reason as to why you want to pause your membership. It is your right to simply do it!
Benefits of Pausing Your Netflix Subscription
- You won't be billed for the time you have paused your membership.
- Your queue will be saved. (Note: you can pause from 7 days to 90 days)
- The hold starts instantaneously.
Other Important Things to Know Before You Suspend Your Netflix Account
- You must return all DVD's you have out within 7 days, or they'll charge you for them.
- The 'Watch Instantly' feature on your PC or television will also be disabled.
How to Put Your Netflix Membership on Hold
There are two ways to do this - by phone or online. I have only had to call Netflix one time when I had a billing inquiry question and their customer service was speedy and efficient. Here are two ways you can pause your Netflix subscription.
- Probably the easiest way is to do it right online. Simply log into Netflix, go to 'Your Account & Help' at the upper right hand side of the page, and select the 'put membership on hold' option in the right hand column. From there, you can set your reactivation date. Again, you can pause your account anywhere from 7 to 90 days.
- If you're having issues with navigating the Netflix website, then you can call Netflix's Customer Service phone number at: 1-866-716-0414
Note: In order to expedite your call, simply log into your Netflix account and click on the Service Code icon at the very bottom of the page. You then enter that code in when you call - it really speeds things up, astonishingly so!
Hope this information helps! I absolutely love Netflix and at times, have found that this feature very useful!
Netflix Ready Devices on Amazon
How to Watch Netflix on Your Television
If you're a Netflix fan, then you might be interested to know about the Roku Player. I received one for Christmas and absolutely love it. It has completely replaced cable in my house. All you need is an active Netflix subscription and a Roku Player. It streams movies and TV shows from the Watch Instantly category on Netflix right onto your television. You can use your wireless internet or an ethernet cable. I love watching shows like Dexter, The Office, Anthony Bourdain, etc. right on my TV! It is also really convenient because there are tons of exercise videos that you can instantly stream.
Check out some "Netflix ready devices" to the right!
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE16
Washington, D.C. is by far, my most favorite city. I travel there frequently for work and pleasure and know the city like the back of my hand. Even if you're not involved with politics, this phenomenal city has...
NBC Dateline aired an episode last night about a free way to find money or properties that might be yours and you don't even know it! How is this "free money" possible? Turns out, you may have an old...
Find out the basics of weight loss.