How To Refinance a Second Mortgage
Times have been pretty tough the world over. While a lot of attention is being paid to what’s going on in the US, with the recession, the bailouts, corporate over spending and on and on, a lot of people seem to be forgetting that, when one of the biggest economies in the world is having trouble, the rest of the world is going to get the ripple effect from it. Whether you live in the US, the United Kingdom, or somewhere in China, you need to take a moment to sit down and seriously consider your options.
In doing so, you might want to list “refinance second mortgage” among them. A second mortgage home loan can be a real life saver for some families, but you have to choose wisely when you take advantage of 2nd mortgages, and you have to seriously consider why you want to consider the whole “refinance second mortgage” option. If you want to refinance second mortgage, it can be incredibly helpful, but that doesn’t mean you should jump into refinancing second mortgages without knowing what you’re doing.
What You Stand To Gain From a Refinance Second Mortgage
Consider what you stand to gain from refinancing your second mortgage and, hopefully, getting a better deal on your second mortgage home loan.
- Getting rid of private mortgage insurance, as this can really be kind of pricy and not always necessary
- Getting a better second mortgage rate on your interest
- Lowering your monthly payments for your second mortgage rate
- Combining your first and 2nd mortgages into one monthly payment
- Changing the current terms on your second mortgage home loan and trading them in for a better deal.
Any one of these options should be reason enough. It depends on your personal needs and your situation, and you know them better than anyone, so make the decision for yourself after careful consideration.
Refinance A Second Mortgage Step 1 - Check Your Calculations
Now, the first step to second mortgage refinancing is to go find one of those mortgage calculators to double check and make sure that taking out a second mortgage actually will help you out in the long run.
Step 2 - Your Credit Report
Next, before making any actual steps in Operation: Refinance Second Mortgage you’ll want to take a look at your credit report (there are plenty of services available online for this). You want to make sure you’re in good financial standing. If you see any mistakes on your credit report, dispute them right away. Make sure to settle any debts, and get your credit looking nice and clean, as this can really give you the upper hand in a second mortgage refinancing negotiation.
Step 3 - Find A Lender
After that, you’ll want to find a second mortgage lender, and before actually signing anything, you’ll want to see what they have to offer you. Make a note of what the second mortgage lender has to say regarding loan terms, getting a good second mortgage rate, and lending fees. Remember, 2nd mortgages and second mortgage refinancing are supposed to help you out of financial trouble, not dig you a bit deeper.
Step 4 - Fine Tune Questions And Costs
look over all of your loan paperwork and figure out exactly how much money
you’ll need for your second mortgage home loan closing costs. Hopefully the
answer will be zero. That’s not always what you can expect, but you may just
luck out and wind up paying nothing for closing costs. At this point, you’ll
also want to ask any lingering questions you might have for your potential
lender or lenders.
Step 5 - Final Checks Before You Refinance Second Mortgage
And finally, take a good, hard look at everything. Make absolutely sure you’re making the right decision, make sure that the terms are agreeable, make sure you’ll actually be able to make the payments on time, and know what will happen if you wind up being unable to make the payments. Now, if you’re satisfied with what you have before you, go ahead and sign. If not, keep trying to get a better deal until you are satisfied.
Some Quick Tips to Refinance Second Mortgages
Now, before doing anything about your second mortgage home loan, you may want to keep a few simple tips in mind.
- For starters, try to negotiate with your second mortgage lender wherever and whenever possible. The fact is that they do want your business, so they should be willing to meet you halfway. It may be possible to negotiate a deal where appraisal and title fees are waived. 2nd mortgages are no small thing, so try to work out what’s best for you before committing to anything.
- This one goes without saying, of course, but try to get the lowest second mortgage rate you can find for interest, this should be a pretty high priority. The more interest you’re paying, the higher your monthly payments. And besides, it’s simply better to have a low interest rate anyways, right?
- Whatever you do, don’t just accept the first loan offer you get from a second mortgage lender. No matter how great the new second mortgage rate sounds, it’s always worth the extra bit of effort to shop around and make sure that what you’re getting is going to actually be the great deal the second mortgage lender is talking it up to be. You may be pleasantly surprised to find that the first second mortgage rate offered really was the best available, but you won’t know until you’ve done a little comparison shopping. And no, this won’t hurt the second mortgage lender’s feelings in the least!
Make this decision very carefully. As helpful as a second mortgage refinancing can be, 2nd mortgages are also a very serious responsibility. There’s always a chance that the deal you have now is basically perfect for you, so don’t think that you absolutely have to consider second mortgage refinancing, just know that it is an option, and it’s there for you if you need it, if your current second mortgage rate isn’t doing you any favours, and if you really do need to do something about it.
This hub brought to you...
by Julie-Ann Amos, professional writer, and owner of international writing agency www.ExquisiteWriting.com
Why not create your own HubPages? It's fun and you can make revenue from Adsense and other revenue streams on your pages. JOIN HUBPAGES NOW
This work is licenced under the Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this licence, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/ or send a letter to CreativeCommons, 171 Second Street, Suite 300, San Francisco, California94105, USA.
More by this Author
Nowadays, beauty may be only skin deep but it apparently does extend to every square millimetre of that skin – visible or not. In a world gone apparently mad, we have invented laser hair removal, pubic hair...
Let's face facts: as women, our hair is our most important feature. It defines us – everything from our personalities to our personal sense of style can be seen in our hair. Because our hair is our top priority,...
Jamie Oliver – also known as the ‘Naked Chef’, Jamie Oliver is a very popular television celebrity known for cooking and absolutely nothing with being nude. He didn’t even agree with the title of...
No comments yet.