Save Money on Magazines
I love magazines! I read magazines almost every day and definitely more than I read books. This could be a very expensive habit if I bought a magazine or two every time I went to the store. Fortunately I have found ways to keep my costs to a minimum while still enjoying magazines. Here are some ways you can save money on magazines.
- Borrow magazines from the library. This is where I get most of my magazines. I can try out a new magazine or grab one that looks interesting at the moment without spending any money at all. This is an especially great way to try out a magazine that you think might be a good one to subscribe to.
- Get a subscription. There are great deals to be had all the time on subscriptions. I have found that the typical subscription deal is about half of the cover price you would pay if you bought the magazine at the grocery store. If you find yourself always buying or borrowing the same magazine it might be worth it to get a subscription. If a magazine provides you with great information you want to keep on hand, then a subscription is the way to go. I have several subscriptions that I can't live without.
- Keep your eyes out for free magazine subscriptions. I have had subscriptions to Family Fun, Midwest Living, Better Home & Garden, and many more for free. I usually find deals like this online, but have also gotten free magazine subscriptions for attending events or conferences. Of course I didn't go for the magazines, they were just added bonuses, but I certainly took advantage of this.
- Check out Amazon for cheap subscriptions. Every month they offer a selection of magazine subscriptions for just $5 for the year. My son is currently enjoying Sports Illustrated for Kids because I took advantage of this great sale.
- Trade magazines with a friend. My sister, mom, mother in law and I all trade magazines that we get in the mail. One subscription is shared by several people and saves us a lot of money.
- Stop subscriptions you no longer enjoy or don't have time to read. One of the worst things you can do is continue to subscribe to a magazine that you don't need or want. Many times magazine subscriptions are on automatic renewal (this is something I try hard to avoid because it forces me to reevaluate the magazine come renewal time) and you just keep paying it year after year, even though the magazine might not even apply to your life anymore. Take the time to cancel subscriptions you don't want and you will save a lot of money.
- Look on the magazine's website. Many magazines put the articles on the internet either right away or a few weeks after the magazine comes out. This is a great way to get the information without paying for a magazine or subscription.
More by this Author
Finding out how much a meal costs for you to make is a great tool to help you stay frugal in the kitchen. It might seem as if a meal is extravagant, when in reality it costs very little per serving. It can work the...
I try to never pay full price for clothing. I have found that everything goes on sale at some point, so I try really hard to wait for the sales. It takes planning, but by knowing the sales schedules, I can shop for...
I recently had a very serious nail infection and I am hoping that my experience will help other people. What started as a fun weekend at a local water park ended in two surgeries and a hospital stay. Nail infections,...