Save money & Do it Yourself
Eat Healthy meals at home
Do It Yourself
Are you the type of person that gets someone around to your house for every little Job that needs doing or are you among the growing number of people that are saving money by doing it yourself ?
I know there are some people who should not be let loose to do household repairs as they do more harm than good, however most people can put their hand to even a few do it yourself projects rather than payout your hard earned money for it.
Some things we just automatically did ourselves where people are now paying big money for is plan our own wedding,
Buy our own baby goods.
Paint inside the house
Clean our own carpets
Check the oil & water in my car
Clean our own house
Do our Ironing
Fix the washers on taps and much more
Put together items from shops that are bought in pieces
Kids workshops at Bunnings
How Do I ?
DIY Projects - Fun
Why not try some DIY projects at home yourself.
Make your own party or wedding invitations by hand or on the computer.
Make greeting cards by using your own photos to create nice souvenirs.
Plan & run your own parties at home , maybe have some bring a plate of food & others a bottle of drink to keep costs down.
Buy your essential baby gear online or make a day of it with a friend or family member.
How to cut a chicken
Some should stay away from DIY !
- DIY Network - Home Improvement How-To & Projects : DIY Network
Want expert advice on your home improvement projects from the professionals? DIY Network has a full line-up of how-to instructions and video from professionals - contractors, builders, plumbers, landscapers and more.
DIY Workshops at Bunnings
Bunnings often have DIY classes on a Saturday for home projects.
Occasionally they will run a class especially Ladies D.I.Y. Nights that will give you the confidence and ammunition to tackle those 'odd jobs' around the house.
They teach you safety tips and show you how to use a drill, sander, router, painting techniques, plumbing tips and much, much more.
The evenings are fun, friendly and FREE.
Children learn to make fun creative projects such as toolboxes, toy trucks, planter boxes and CD holders.
Workshops are free for children and must be accompanied by an adult. Most workshops are suitable for kids between the ages of 4 and 8.
Projects and times may vary from store to store. Contact your local store for more details.
Cut Your Own Hair
Neville has been cutting his own hair for years , Well mows it down ! It saves him $15-20 a time so that's approx $240 a year saving.
Most of us will stay away from that as it does take a bit of doing to start attacking your own hair !
There is a video below to give you some tips if you have some artistic talent within you !
- How to Build a Built-In Bookshelf : How-To : DIY Network
These steps from DIY Network demonstrate how to install a built-in bookshelf with adjustable shelves.
DIY Jokes !
"I was in B&Q the other day when this bloke in an orange overall comes up to me and says "Do I want decking?"
Well, luckily I managed to get the first punch in!"
Two guys, one old and one young, are pushing their carts around a DIY Store when
The old guy says to the young guy, "Sorry about that. I'm looking for my
wife, and I guess I wasn't paying attention to where I was going."
The young guy says, "That's OK. It's a coincidence. I'm looking for my
wife, too. I can't find her and I'm getting a little desperate."
The old guy says, "Well, maybe we can help each other. What does your
wife look like?
The young guy says, "Well, she is 27 yrs old, tall, with red hair, blue
eyes, long legs, big boobs, and she's wearing tight white shorts. What
does your wife look like?"
The old guy says, "Doesn't matter --- let's look for yours."
You know you're a DIY expert when:
1. The Screwfix/Wickes mini catalogue becomes a permanent fixture next to the toilet
2. You spend hours in work using Word to sketch out the DIY job for that weekend
3. You have 7 tins of WD-40 in convienent locations around the house
4. You buy things that you don't need but will look good in the toolbox
5. The DIY store staff know your first name
6. You know all of the different shades of white
7. After 6 months of light DIYing, you think installing central heating is childsplay
8. You've got the tradesman's 'sucking in of air, shaking the head and tutting' down to a tee
9. You have a tool belt
10. You know that rubbing a graphite pencil on a hinge will stop the squeak
11. Sarah Beeny is your Pin-Up
12. The DIY book the in-laws got you for christmas remains unopened, do they think you're a bloody amateur?!
13. You've got the plumber's, electrician's and builder's mobile numbers in your phone in case of a DIY feck up.
14. You're suspicius of proper tradesmen
15. You have a trailer
16. You buy a router to save money on 'expensive' tongue and grooving
17. Use of the B&Q cafe is strictly prohibited, its for part-timers, not hardcore DIYers like yourself
18. You think you don't need a spirit level. You do.
19. You have a large collection of wood in the shed, just in case.
20. You know what Denso tape is and what its used for
21. 'Discovery Home and Leisure' and 'H&L +1' are in your Sky favourites
22. Complete renovation of a cow shed doesn't faze you
23. You have a compost bin
24. Criticise professionals work in pubs and on holiday, calling them 'a bunch of cowboys'
25. You have a tape measure in your car
26. On a two-man job, its always the other persons fault
27. You become a HSS Hire shop to all your mates
28. You stop to appreciate your handywork at least once a day
29. Your work is never done
30. You can unscrew a screw with a hammer.
Save Money with a Do It Yourself Manual
Handy Toolkit for the home
More by this Author
Are you looking for funny resignation letters to use to resign from your job ? Here is a choice of resignation letters for you.
Have you ever wondered what happens if you swallow a fly Don't you hate it when a fly goes up your nose or in your mouth ?
Are you wondering what things to give to an orphanage ?