Words of Caution
I purchased my last three compters, two MP3 players, a camera, and some software through Dell Financing. In total that comes to be a significant amount of money. After all of the business I gave Dell I wish I had known the things I know now so that I could have avoided some of their pitfalls. Here are some of what I believe to be the pros and cons in dealing with Dell finance.
I like Dell ! They don't have the best track record (laptop batteries catching on fire), but they do have other great attributes that make them my computer of choice.
I needed a computerdesperately. The old Compaq my wife bought back in '95 just wasn't working. I mean being in University and having the system shut down suddenly while writing a term paper was hell. With no money, Dell financing was really the only option if I wanted a new computer.
Pros of Dell financing:
- The application process was easy and painless
- Approval was done over the phone
- Was done with little credit and no down payment was needed
- I liked that you are assigned a financier
- Financing works as a revolving credit, just like a credit-card
Even though I love my Dell computers I have to be honest about their negative attributes. Hopefully Dell will get a hold of this and improve on their financing practices.
Cons of Dell Financing:
- Customer service within Dell Financing is inconsistent. Sometimes good sometimes very bad
- Very high interest rates. We're talking 29% or more
- Rates were changed without notice and with little explanation
- No satisfaction guarantee returns
- You have to make the purchase decisions with your Dell financier. Meaning little technical help
- Dell financiers act like salesmen, pushing features you didn't want into your purchase
- Dell Finance will report you to the creditbureau if you default
- Dell Finance will do nothing to improve your credit if you're a good client
Now remember these are from my experience with Dell. I should mention that after getting frustrated with the service and complaining, Dell was quick to apoligise and did what they could to remedy our problem.
More by this Author
Safer than carrying cash, debit card are a step in the right direction for keeping consumers safe and secure. There have however, been a few hiccups. Find out what thieves are doing to steal your money and how you can...
Living on a tight budget doesn't have to be accompanied with stress and melt down. Giving up and declaring bankruptcy might seem tempting at times but let's face it, do you really believe that the banks will let you off...
Perhaps one of the most overlooked places to visit in Canada is Alberta. While most international travelers come to enjoy the night life of Toronto and Montreal or the beaches of B.C.'s West coast, Alberta has remained...