Beauty Tips Using Ordinary Household Items
Become a Hubber
- Signup For HubPages
Share your stories, ideas, poetry, and more... Join today - it is absolutely free!
Beauty Tips and Tricks
In working on a television show for a few years, I learned secrets, tricks, and hints for staying young and looking great. I have tried many of the tips and tricks - some work, and well, some…not so much!
Baking soda is not just for cooking anymore. It has been around for a very long time and is a natural alternative to a lot of the harsh chemicals found in most items these days.
- Use to exfoliate your skin. Create a paste by mixing together 3 tablespoons of baking soda and 1 tablespoon of water. Apply to skin in a circular motion and rinse. I have been using this concoction for 3 years and it is a natural alternative to the harsh chemicals in most facial scrubs ~ Love It!
- If you want whiter teeth, use baking soda – it whitens and cleans your mouth so well. My mother introduced me to this many years ago and I swear by it! I have a beautiful crystal dish that I keep by the sink so I don’t have to look at the ugly box ~ Love It!
Pepto-Bismol isn’t just for stomach aches anymore; it is great for a face mask.
- Get a small dish and a regular flat artist paint brush - brush pepto bismol all over your face - wait about 15 to 20 minutes and use a soft cloth and warm water to rinse off. ~ Love It!
Eyeliner can do more than just outline your eyes.
- If you want a narrow looking nose, take dark brown eyeliner and make a line down the center of your nose starting from the top (by your brows) and continuing to the tip (by the nostrils), then blend it in. This actually does work. ~ Love It!
Hemorrhoid Creams: you guessed it, they aren't just for hemorrhoids anymore- they are fantastic for easing the puffiness under your eyes.
- Use the one that specifically states: cream. Dab a little hemorrhoid cream under your eyes and wait a few minutes for it to soak in and then just apply your makeup over it. This really does work! ~ Love It!
Toothpaste isn't just for your mouth.
- Take a dab of white toothpaste (it can't be the gel type) and dab it on a pimple that is forming before you go to bed - story is that the pimple will be gone. Not true. ~ Don't Love It!
Olive oil isn’t just for sauteing those veggies or mixing up those greens.
- Heat about ¼ cup of olive oil in the microwave for about 5 to 10 seconds and apply to your hair (Do NOT WET hair first – apply to DRY hair) start at the ends and work your way up to the roots. Wrap your hair in a turbie hair towel or a regular towel for about 15 minutes, then shampoo as usual. Your hair will be so happy. ~ I do this once a month. ~ Love It!
- Mix 1/4 cup olive oil and organic sugar and you have a fantastic sugar scrub. Add essential oils if you want it to smell nice. I use this every day ~ Love It!
Lipstick is not just for your lips. Try your grandmothers secret (well, those of you who are 45 and older) - the younger generation probably has grandmothers who are very hip and own multiple powder blushers!
- Take a small dab of lipstick and apply to cheekbone as a blusher. Rub it in an upward motion right along the cheekbone. “They” say that it stays on better than powder and usually compliments your skin better because it is already flattering to your lips. Of course, that is, if you are using the correct shade. I still use powder blush on occasion; however, I have to say ~ Love It!
Rubbing Alcohol has so many uses...
- Put a small amount of rubbing alcohol in a bowl, saturate the tip of a q-tip and dab on an exposed pimple. Story is that it will dry it out immediately and it will disappear. Not true. It does dry out; however, it takes about 2 days and it burns. Don’t Love It!
- Saturate a cotton ball in rubbing alcohol and rub it along your underarm after you shower to gather the rest of the dirt and grime that the soap didn't get. You will be amazed how dirty the cotton ball becomes. Also, it helps to eliminate body odor. Word of caution – if you nick yourself shaving (ladies), it will BURN like the dickens, so be careful! ~ Love It!
Oranges are not just for eating.
- Take a few orange slices and rub them on your face to revive dry and dull looking skin (oranges have natural vitamin C). This seems viable as it simulates a chemical peel; however, I will tell you that if you have sensitive skin, it will make your face red, and you will endure pain. Don’t Love It!
Spoons are great for more than eating soup.
- If you have had a salty snack night, a late night, or a crying like a baby because your boyfriend/husband hurt your feelings night ~ set your alarm to wake up 10 minutes earlier. Keep 2 spoons in the freezer and pull them out when you wake up with puffy eyes. It is a “cure all” for a “need to look rested” moment. Place each spoon (rounded side) on each eye ~ sit back with your head on a pillow and relax for 10 minutes and you will be surprised. No more puffy eyes! Okay…this works, but…only after 15 to 20 minutes. Note: it is very difficult to sit still for the 15 to 20 minutes because you know you need to be getting ready for work. Also, the spoons get very cold and feel as though they are burning your skin. Don’t Love It!
Beauty: Part Two
Check out : http://bellartdesigns.hubpages.com/hub/Tips-and-Tricks-for-Using-Ordinary-Household-Items-for-Beauty-Cleaning-and-Creating-Part-Two-Beauty for more tips and tricks.
© 2011 bellartdesigns
More by this Author
Beauty tips, tricks, hints, and helps.
End the frustration when crafting and sewing with these little tips and tricks: Everything from threading needles with hairspray, using your children's marbles to darn socks, to tracing patterns with wax paper.
One perennial that loves to reside in a container is the Confederate Jasmine (Trachelospermum Jasminoides). Lavish tiny white flowers deliver an abundance of sweet smell.