College Towns For Great Retirement Living Keep You Young
During the 2000s and early 2010s, a number of organizations like CNNMoney Magazine, Forbes.com and others have recommended retirement to college towns across America,. They did this because of lower costs and comparatively higher standards of living offered to retirees that relocated to these spots. Another reason is the the opportunity to enroll in college classes free-of-charge, as in The Ohio State University's Program 60.
In 2012, those who study retirement and aging have found that placing older Senior Citizens back into a setting like that of the college of their youth can result in the body responding in "younger" ways. People even feel younger. This was confirmed by two studies so far, one from George Mason University and one done less formally by the BBC in the UK.
Many "college town" cities support one or more 2- or 4-year colleges or universities that have arrangements with retirement centers to provide lifelong learning activities to residents. This works best where the retirement community is located close to the institution of higher learning and both entities cooperate in joint events. Many of these places support museums, theaters, sorts activates, and other likeable things to do. One example is the museum park pictured above in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Thomas Sayre: "Gyre"
Many "college town" cities support one or more 2- or 4-year colleges or universities that have arrangements with retirement centers to provide lifelong learning activities to residents.
Best Of the Best
The Top 10 College Towns that help keep retirees young are listed below, as found by George Mason and BBC researchers.
My top choice is the Research Triangle in North Carolina. This choice is based on the quality and number of Universities, attractions, retirement job possibilities, and reasonably-priced housing among the research institutes in the Triangle.
This is a 13-county region connected by Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill. Many communities fill in the 13 counties, with plenty of places to live close to education and employment opportunities.
For many of the Top 10 College Towns for Retirement, links are included below for city reviews. Highlights of Claremont, California are offered further below.
The Research Triangle
- Boise, Idaho -- Boise State University - Discounted fees for Senior Citizens; University of Idaho - University of Idaho Retirees Association.
- Claremont, California -- Claremont Avenues for Lifelong Learning www.ci.claremont.ca.us This is a free program allowing seniors to audit college classes andparticipate in field trips.(Please see information below.)
- Fort Collins Colorado -- Colorado State University
- The Research Triangle -- Duke, University of North Carolina and North Carolina State University. North Carolina is one of the 25 Best Cities for Staying Young.
- Clemson, South Carolina -- Osher Life-Long Learning Institute http://www.clemson.edu/centers-institutes/olli/
- Albuquerque, New Mexico -- University of New Mexico
- Ithaca, New York -- Cornell University and Ithaca College intergenerational learning
- Princeton, New Jersey -- Princeton University. Shots of Princeton were used to represent Princeton Plainsboro Hospital in the TV series House MD. Westminster College of Arts of Rider University.
- Williamstown, Massachusetts -- Williams College
- Asheville, North Carolina -- University of North Carolina at Asheville. North Carolina Center for Creative Retirement.
Other College Towns That Are Great For Retirees
- State College, PA -- The Village at Penn State University, for Senior Citizens. This is a retirement community for active seniors and is owned by the university. Its residents are welcomed and encouraged to attend dozens of functions, celebrations, trips, and educational workshops that keep them interested in life and the large community. These seniors remain productive and happy with the help of the university. They stay young!
- Charlottesville, Virginia
- Ann Arbor, Michigan -- The Arts Fair in the streets at Michigan State University is enough to persuade many seniors to retire to Ann Arbor. Many other annual events keep the city interesting.
- Gainesville, Florida
Claremont, California For Seniors and Others
Highlights of Claremont, California
The City of Claremont supports a well developed Seniors department that offers several interesting services. One of these is a program with local Claremont Colleges for Senior Citizens ages 60 and older to audit classes at no charge. many Senior still work, so the city offers an After Work entertainment and social program.
Enrichment classes, support groups, clubs, and nutrition instruction are other parts of the Seniors services. Trips for Senior Citizens involve much more than a short hop to the local mall. Seniors can visit the Reagan Presidential Library, Museums, upscale performances, and many more.
Claremont Transportation is Efficient and Expanding
- Foothill Transit - Buses
All the buses in this system are planned to be powered by electricity by the year 2030. Foothill Transit joins transportation authorities of 22 cities in the San Gabriel and Pomona Valleys. These buses provide public transportation to the Greater Los Angeles Area.
- Welcome to Metrolink
Metrolink is Southern California's regional passenger rail system with 55 train stations across the region. Get train schedules, fare information, discounts, and news at www.metrolinktrains.com.
Claremont is located along old route 66, the Mother Highway of America.
- Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden at 1500 N. College Ave; Claremont CA 91711 -- Senior discount for ages 65 and older. At least 86 acres of native-plant gardens in three subdivisions.
- Candlelight Pavilion Dinner Theater at 455 West Foothill Boulevard; Claremont CA 91711 -- Popular first run theatrical productions.
- Dueling Piano Lounge at 555 West Foothill Boulevard; Claremont CA 91711 -- Food and beverage specials, with a piano bar.
- ALF Museum of Paleontology at 1175 West Baseline Road; Claremont CA.
- Fiske Musical Instrument Museum at 450 North College Way; Claremont CA 91711
- Dead Sea Scrolls Project - Claremont Graduate School at 1325 N. College Ave.; Claremont CA 91711. The school owns quite an extensive array of materials related to the scrolls, the Bible, and scriptural studies. Images of the Dead Sea Scrolls are just the beginning.
- Devil's Punchbowl - Hiking trails 23 miles north of Claremont.
- Rubidoux Drive-In - Drive-In Theater 18 miles east of Claremont. Movies and Swap Meets.
Colleges For Senior Auditing Programs
- Claremont, CA Senior Living Communities | Sunrise Senior Living
Sunrise of Claremont, a Claremont, CA senior living community, provides high quality, personal care and services to our residents.
- Claremont Senior Care | Claremont Place Assisted Living in Claremont, CA 91711
- Los Angeles Assisted Living | Independent Living | Skilled Nursing Facilities located in Alhambra, C
Claremont Manor in Los Angeles is a senior retirement community offering all levels of managed senior care providing assisted living, independent living, Alzheimer's and dementia care including skilled nursing facilities Los Angeles
- Mt. San Antonio Gardens - A Life Care senior community in Claremont and Pomona, CA
- Pilgrim Place
A senior community for those called to careers in Christian services.
Colleges In Claremont
- City of Claremont -- Especially for Seniors
- Claremont Graduate University: Welcome to CGU!
Claremont Graduate University: Obtain a world-class graduate education at this private, graduate-only institution. Attend small classes and receive personal attention on our charming tree-lined campus in Southern California.
- Claremont McKenna College
Claremont McKenna College (CMC) is a private, coeducational liberal arts college and a member of the Claremont Colleges located in Claremont, California.
- Claremont School of Theology
- Harvey Mudd College
- KGI: Keck Graduate Institute of Claremont, California
KGI educates future leaders of the bioscience industry through distinctive Professional Science Master's and PhD programs offering integrated life science/engineering/business curriculums and focusing on industry projects and collaborations. Degree p
- Pitzer College | A Los Angeles-Area Liberal Arts College
Founded in 1963, Pitzer College is a nationally ranked undergraduate college of the liberal arts and sciences located in Los Angeles County. A member of The Claremont Colleges, Pitzer offers a distinctive approach to a liberal education by linking in
- Pomona College in Claremont, California - Pomona College
- Scripps College : The Women's College : Claremont, California
- The Webb Schools - Advanced High Schools
The Webb Schools boarding school. Located on the west coast in Claremont, California.,
During the summer of 2015, the ratio of the number of unemployed individuals in Claremont to the number of listed job openings was 1:1, or a job for every unemployed person. However, not all unemployed persons can qualify for every job requirements.
Claremont Snapshot: Highest Demand Jobs
Over 49,000 jobs weer listed throughout Summer 2012, increasing by over 20% to to 60,000+ job listings by Summer 2015 and Summer 2016.
Highest demand jobs consistently are:
- Sales Representatives
- Salespeople, including Commission Salespeople
- Academic Tutors, including Music Teachers
- Truck Drivers - Number One growing job nationwide.
- LPN, LVN, and RN Nurses
- Speech Therapists
- Occupational and Physical Therapists
- Manufacturing Engineers
- Project Engineers
- Software Engineers and Network Engineers
Casual dining jobs are increasing as well at Pizza Hut and Taco Bell, including Managers and Area Supervisors.
Largest Job-Advertising Claremont Employers
- So Cal Pizza
- McDonalds Restaurants, Domino's Pizza and Starbucks
- The Home Depot: DIY, home and garden
- CVS Health & Pharmacy: Managers, clerks, pharmacy technicians and more
- Pep Boys: Automotive parts and service
- Wells Fargo: Banking
- Perkins & Marie Callender's: Perkins Pancake Houses and frozen foods
- Target Stores
- R.E. Garrison: Truck drivers, demand increasing rapidly since 2014.
© 2012 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Asheville, North Carolina has been listed as the Best Retirement City in the USA. This is important to Baby Boomers retiring in the 2010s and 2020s, especially if they lost jobs in the recession of the 2000s. Asheville...
Paris, Tennessee has its own Eiffel Tower in a park with walking tracks, two swimming pools, and tennis courts. The cost of living is reasonable, crime is low, and the people are friendly. An excellent hospital,...
Since 2010, news from BLOOMBERG BUSINESSWEEK has been that Canada and Australia were little touched by The Great Recession. New jobs continue to increase.