Top 6 Things You Need To Help Get You Through This Recession
1) Food: Supermarkets may no longer have fruit and veggies and meat and cans and cereal. They might have cereal only one day and canned beans only the next. That's if the supermarket is still functioning and it has managed to not get looted. Therefore the first and most important aspect is food food food. If you are lucky enough to live in a climate that allows for year round agriculture and you have a private plot of land that you can adequately protect, you should dedicate considerable efforts to growing a wide variety of edibles, along with chickens, goats, rabbits, or any other protein source that you can manage. If you are in a not so temperate climate, concentrate on storing foods at harvest time and quickly become an expert in hunting and fishing. If you are in a high rise apartment in the middle of a large city... er... well... I'm very sorry for you. You are going to go through a very nasty few years. I hope you make it out the other side.
2) Self-Protection: Sorry, this is not a time to rail for pacifism and disarmament. Arm yourself to the teeth and make sure that you know how to use it. Furthermore, make sure that you are not afraid to take the actions necessary to protect yourself and your family. There may come a time when the only thing between your loved ones and some really hungry and mean people is your gunsight. If it never happens, then at least you'll know that you were duly prepared for the most extreme circumstance.
3) Fuel: If you're in a cold climate, fuel will be the difference between living out the winters in relative comfort or turning into a popsicle. However, even if you are in a warm clime, you will still need to cook your food, and the last thing you can rely on is those mystical electrons to keep coming out of the plug in your wall or all that endless flow of gas in your pipes. You will very likely have to come up with other, organic methods of creating fire. I hope you've been paying attention to the “Make Fire Tiebreakers” on Survivor!
4) Clothing: Watch any Les Stroud Survivorman type of reality show and you will quickly become aware of the importance of clothing. No, not to show off your figure, or to brag about a designer label, but to provide the utmost in longevity, warmth, protection and water-resistance. Natural fibers are the best and layering is the key to being comfortable in almost any weather.
5) Barter: Cash is just paper and there may come a time in the very near future when you will be made painfully aware of that fact. At that time you will find that the only things of value are... surprisingly enough “things of value!”: Edibles, pharmaceuticals, warm clothing, shelter. Cash, baubles, toys, bling... all of that may very well be completely without any trading value whatsoever.
6) Your Wits: Don't be deluded into false hopes by a momentary stock market profit taking spike, or some three card monte now you see it now you don't governmental largesse. The bottom line is that we are going down down down and it is not completely unthinkable that in the very near future, these elements will become of primary importance to your life and that of your loved ones. Therefore, don't take these precautions lightly as you continue to dance on the Titanic. Also don't despair and believe that everything that is worth anything in your life is lost forever, as it is also important to note that we are currently entering a period of momentous change in human civilization. Especially to the younger generation which has known nothing but prosperity and didn't pay attention in history class, it may be surprising to learn that humanity has existed through the vast majority of its millennia on Earth undergoing severe challenges, overcoming insurmountable odds, and scraping a living from whatever meager resources can be found. And still, people were happy. In many ways much happier than in today's media-soaked graceless age. We didn't evolve pushing buttons to get instant gratification on virtually anything we wanted, and it certainly won't extinguish us to go back to a far more real, sustainable, natural, and stable style of life. The bling and the toys will be gone, but perhaps, in its place will arise a new society based on truer and better ideals and values.
More by this Author
A quick guide to the galaxy of pasta shapes from Agnolotti (Baby Goats) to Ziti (Bridegrooms) and the more unusual ones like Strozzapreti (Stranglers Of The Priests)!
Dealing with us at the First National Mafia Bank of Corleone is fast and easy. Concerned about your low FICO credit score? Fuggedaboudit! Self-employed? Fuggedaboudit! Insufficient collateral? Fuggedaboudit!
This is the definitive guide to the fuel economy of the 250 top-selling motor scooters from 50cc to 800cc expressed in mpg and km/l.