Website Analytics What is a Good Average Time on Site?
Ready, Set..WAIT DONT LEAVE READ THE PAGE >.< !!!
If you managed to stay this long you at least have some kind of minor interest in the statistic. If I say something about more money or lots of euros in this line, it will add another 2 seconds to the view time of this page! Ok, i'll stop the delay - you came to find out what a good average time on site is. To put it as simply as I can, I will break it up into short paragraphs and a nice load of bullets (pew pew pew) in a list for you!
What is a Good Average Time on Site?!
It all depends on the type of site and content you offer. You probably figured out on your own if you host 20 minute shows that people like watching like an anime show the average time on site would most likely be 20 minutes. But lets get some hard facts from out friends at SOURCE: CBS.
- Based on 120M (120,000,000) Impressions, the Average time on the whole webpage is a whopping 33 Seconds!!!
Cold hard truth is, I cant even read a page in 33 seconds if I tried. Most of your content will not be read. Anything I type in this little subscript has as much chance of being read as say your car growing wings and flying. Of course, if your really here for the total information on this page then please by all means keep reading! If your not, you most likely clicked an ad, went back to google/yahoo/bing, or you scrolled down looking for more bullets (pew pew pew).
What about my ads then? Do they even get seen?
Well, yes and no - depending on location. Remember when you were originally learning about adsense? You probably saw the picture to the right showing the best paid places for ads. By putting ads near the top you get the most impressions automatically, even if they only spend 1 second with the site loaded. But what about the ads on the bottom of the page, or ads not within the first loaded part of the site? Lets make a list of facts!
- 27% of Banner and Text ads aren't seen at all!
- Average time of an ad being viewed is 15 seconds Per module.
- 8 average Seconds for E-Commerce and Game Site ads
- 22 average Seconds for Media/News and Services ads
- Footer ads are reported to only have a 10-20% viewership. 10 - 20 of 100 visitors will see the footer, Bummer.
This is due to the point and click attitude of gamers and shoppers, they want what there looking for - no ads nothing else in there way. Media sites on the other hand have people just reading though going wherever they end up. Also, just because the viewership of the footer is bad, doesn't mean it wont have a good click though rate. The theory (proven by YieldBuild because it does this with every hub) is that when a user viewed all content, they are most likely to click a link to a new page.
Why do I care how long people are on my site again?
Well, if your making MONEY (had to do it, because someone chose to just scroll down ignoring everything else) with your website, then each webpage has some kind of moneitiztion. Apparently, I been noticing the longer the average time on a page was for me the more money I got per click. What advertisers are playing are not buying CPM (cost per 1000 impressions) but CPM (Cost per 1000 minutes of time on site). The reason for this is 35-45% of all the money in online advertising is on strait pay. That means going to www.sitelikeyours.com and paying $100 a month to have an ad on there homepage link to your website. Other advertisers might think about doing this because that would mean they pay the correct rate of each ad placed, not the dictated fee for both the top spots and the footer.
Did I forget to add in all of your averages are wrong?
Due to how any kind of analytic software works, there are a lot of reasons why it will not correctly show your average time on site. Most are due to timestamp issues Google didnt even solve yet, a long winded (if you care that much) explanation can be found HERE. Its great to check out, but if you don't want to worry that much just continue on to the next paragraph/bulleted list.
Ok Average Time on Site might help me make money, How do I increase it?
Increasing average time on site isn't really that hard, and at the same-time it can be nearly impossible. For starters the more niche focused your content page is, the more likely the person who found it will want to stay for a long time to read and learn about it. Increasing the average site time may up the time your ads get - a win win for everyone. Ugh...If I write in paragraphs it will cause you to leave so ill try a bulleted list and pray to god it doesn't sound like im preaching!
- Images - Pictures say 1,000 words in 1-15 seconds normally. Choose good pictures that people will like to look at (OH SHINY!)
- Video - Use videos laser targeted at your content, making people want to sit there and watch them on your page. Hey, its all fair in time-snatching!
- Content Editing - HTML is simple but has a lot of ways you can grab people. Use bold on interesting words, underline important details, and italic well...you get the idea.
- Bulleted Lists - Now not everyone came here to read my whole article. (Jerks this is hard work.) But using Bulleted lists helps convey your content to your readers, and pulls readers into reading them. (Hey thats short, forget all that body text tell me the goodies!)
- Polls or Quizzes - Now I could call this interactive (but that wouldn't apply specifically to hubpages). Hubpages offers quizzes and polls to put into a Hub, these take time to do and often add fun and entertainment to users. The polls also help the visitor have his or her say and helps the writer - sometimes the best part.
- Tables - I really dont know why, but Tables and Chart are like cat-nip for humans. We just love them. Maybe its because of all the tables and charts we throw into powerpoint presentations to prolong them. (I never admitted to that, and you dont have to ether - our little secret)
- Comments - God, hit the jackpot with this one. If you allow comments it takes people time to write and draft them. Most sites nowadays have 12 capchas, 4 spam filters, and 1 your comment awaits monitoring. I hate that, if I take the time to make a comment at all (not just spam or ranting) I expect it to be shown or I will never come back. See what I just said? Never come back - make it so you dont need to do all that and I will keep returning (a clue).
There are many different things you can do to increase your average time on site records. One day this factor (if it doesnt already) might be influential to your earnings, your pagerank, and maybe even if your site is worthy enough to be online (ouch talk about cutting out all the spam - that would delete half of Squidoo's whole site! [Yeah that was a burn]).
Ever hear of a Flagship Hub? Those little elite hubs that people get paid directly for? Well Hubpages basically tells you a working formula there! This list from the Hub from Darkside (Thanks bro) explains quickly what they should contain:
- A minimum of 1500 words,
of your own, high-quality purely original writing (3-7 mins of reading)
- A minimum of 3
relevant video capsules (YouTube or Google) (1-30 Minutes of viewing)
- A minimum of 5
relevant images (25-1min 20 secounds of viewing)
- At least 10 relevant links to other sources,
each with your own 30-50 word description (1-5 minutes viewing)
- A news capsule (or
highly-relevant RSS feed)(Wildcard Viewing)
- An original overview of no more than
500 characters, that goings into the Summary.(2-5 mins viewing)
...and of course, well presented and organized.
Clearly, worked out the average time on webpage of a Flagship standard hub is between 7mins 25 seconds* to 47 mins 20 seconds*.
*Doesn't include rss feed wildcard, and comment wildcard)
Results will vary, there is no promise this will increase viewership, revenue, or well anything at all - but hell it will look good to the people who do read it!
Did you Read the WHOLE page?See results without voting
Wrap it Up
Well hopefully that was all, if not more information then you were looking for! Who known the average time on site really effected so much. If you want to write on Hubpages like I do (Great results for good work) then by all means sign up. If there is anything you want to add feel free to in the comments (nice ones only - I dont come trash talk you, why not do the same?)
Take this 8 Question QUICK Quiz
More by this Author
Sign language is a vital part of anyone life if they are deaf. The use of sign language helps improve the life of the deaf and at the same time gives their family members a way to communicate quickly without the use of...
This is the grandmaster list of 50 of the best Cheap College Textbook Websites!!! Finding all the books you need at a large discount compared to your ...
Looking for hot cosplay girls? Cosplaying is the act of dressing up as someone from an anime, videogame, or manga. Just like on Halloween, you have tons of fun pretending to be your favorite characters. There are both...