Where To Find Freelance Work Online
The life of a freelancer has never been easier with the help of the Internet and all of the resources we have at our disposable. People can now learn on the go and apply this knowledge to find work online. Freelance work has grown exponentially in the last ten years and people are making a living by finding work online. So how do you go about looking for work online? What are some talents that you can learn to fulfill these jobs? How can a freelancer find more work and generate new client leads? There are plenty of websites that will match freelancers and employers so they can both receive maximum benefits from one another.
Successful freelancers must be highly specialized in what they do. The job market is a lot more competitive because there will be other freelancers from around the world that you'll be competing with. The best way to beat out the competition is to become an industry expert in a field. As a freelancer, it's important to be good at one skill then be okay at a bunch of other skills. Every business wants to generate sales leads to keep them running smooth and the same goes for freelancers, they'll need to keep generating work so that they can remain happy.
How Do You Find Work Online?
If you're a freelancer looking to find work online, the best way to start is by researching online. Before you start to look for online, here are some helpful hints to prepare you for the freelancer world.
- Create a Résumé - It's important that you have a résumé filled. Websites will ask you to fill out this information in order for employers to hire you.
- Sample Work - If you're a graphic/web designer it's important to have past work, so that employers are able to see your style. This applies to any freelance job.
Websites For Freelance Work
If you are looking for a freelance job, we have compiled the best sites where you can start your career as a freelancer online. Check out our list below and see where your skills and talents can be applied.
- Freelancer - Freelancer.com is the world's largest outsourcing and crowdsourcing marketplace for small business. They have been matching freelancers with employers from around the world for years now and it's a great website to start looking for a job.
- Guru - This is one of the largest sites for freelancers including programmers, content writers, and web designers. Once the project is completed, payment is released to the freelancer. Payment is safe because the site makes use of Escrow to protect the interest of both employers and freelancers.
- Elance - This site offers a great way for freelancers to earn a great amount of money by showcasing their skills and talents. You can work for a certain project and once delivered and approved, payment is sent. You can also build a good working relationship with your clients online.
- oDesk - This is a great place to build an online reputation as a freelancer. When your ratings get higher, more work is available for you. The type of freelance work they look for are programming, web designer, content writer, virtual assistant, and marketing professionals.
- People Per Hour - People Per Hour is a great platform for small businesses and freelancers. The type of freelance work they look for are programming, writing, virtual assistants, and graphic artists that are allowed to bid for a certain project. Once it is complete, they will have the payment.
- vWorker - vWorker is dedicated to writers, graphic artists, and programmers who wish to earn money by simply bidding on projects they wish to complete.
- Freelance Switch - This is another legit freelancing site where freelancers and clients can have a good working relationship. Earn money by completing projects based on your past experiences/
- 99 Designs - If If you're a great designer then this website has it all. From logos, business cards, websites, and more they have a job waiting for you. There are many companies and individuals that are looking to hire you so what are you waiting for?
- iWriter - This is a great place for freelance writers and get paid for writing. The more you write on this website the higher your rating, which means that you'll be getting paid more and more.
- Scriptlance - This website gathers programmers and web designers from across the globe to help earn some cash. Content writers are also a big part of the site and can also find work.
Tips For Freelancers
Since starting my career as a freelancer, here are some tips that I have used to become successful and wanted to share some with the community.
- Get help from your friends and family to spread the word about what your work.
- Gather a business email list and send out information about what you do, where you are and what you can offer.
- Offer promotions for services with your invoices that you send.
- Network by attending industry events – conferences, association meetings, seminars.
- Create a business card and always have it on hand.
- Use social media (facebook, twitter, etc)
- Become social (on the internet and in real life)
- Create a blog, it's fun and easy.
- Give something away for free, whether it's submitting a tutorial as a designer or writing a blog post to a well known blog.
What Type Of Freelancer Are You?See results without voting
Why Creating a LinkedIn is a Necessity
The life of a freelancer is great when you have clients consistently asking for your services right? Using social media is a great start to put your services out to the public, but let's just get straight to the point, do you have a LinkedIn profile?
In this post, I wanted to discuss the benefits you'll receive from creating a LinkedIn. I’ll also share some additional resources where you can learn more about using LinkedIn for your freelancing business.
The first thing you'll want to do is complete your LinkedIn profile. They just recently added a way to showcase your work in a "portfolio" section. This is the best way to get noticed and gain the attention of others who're looking for your work. Who knows you might actually end up getting hired! Also remember to add your contacts that are already on LinkedIn by linking your Facebook profile, email contacts, etc.
LinkedIn Features Freelancers Should Use
Here are several LinkedIn features you should be taking advantage of if you want to use it to market yourself as a freelancer:
- Groups. LinkedIn has a ton of professional ground that provide a great way to network with other professionals. Once you've joined a few groups, check them to stay up to date. Contributing to these groups can also help get you noticed.
- Jobs. LinkedIn will match your skill set to jobs people are looking for. They will send you updates on new jobs via email and you can be certain that you'll find freelance jobs listed.
- Companies. Following companies on LinkedIn is a great way to get your foot in the door. Try this feature out and add some of the employees to get in touch with them.
- Answers. LinkedIn has their own Q&A tool. Answering questions is a great way to get noticed by an audience of professionals.
- Skills & Expertise. Listing out your skills and expertise will allow you to enter some keywords for your skills so that you can be found more easily.
- Portfolio. Adding your past work to your portfolio is a new feature on LinkedIn and works great to help get your work noticed by other business professionals.
- Recommendations. Getting recommendations from other professionals who've worked with you is an excellent way to stand out on LinkedIn. Make sure that you ask people who you've worked with in the past to recommend you on LinkedIn and make sure to return the favor.
Of course, there’s a lot more you could learn about using LinkedIn effectively.
Do You Use LinkedIn?See results without voting
More by this Author
The advancement of technology has made it difficult for one to spot a fake ID but here are some tips to help you spot one.
Running a restaurant is one of the most difficult business endeavors, as the vast majority of restaurants fail. This Hub offers useful tips for beating the odds.
The author of this article discusses the latest technologies including the newest mobile & gadget updates.