Is There a Lottery Winner Curse?
Winning the lottery must be everybody's dream. For most, money may solve life's problems. However, winning any lottery jackpot can also become the root of much bigger problems. Learn from the experiences of past lottery jackpot winners.
Hitting it big will literally turn one's life upside down. For sure, security issue is just one of the myriad of things the lottery winner has to contend with. Then, there is also the lack of financial management skills on the part of the winner which attributes to why winnings can be gone in no time.
In the Philippines, one lucky person got the lucky combination and the sole jackpot money of the cool P741.17 million pesos (or US$16.7 million) which is the biggest jackpot in the history of Philippine Lottery. The winner's identity is of course kept anonymous for safety and security reasons.
Stories about past lottery winners now living more miserable are no longer news. Some of these previous winners even regret winning the pot prize since it caused changes in their lives for the worst.
Lottery Winning Ran Out Fast
The tale of lottery winners who lost their millions in record-time become all too-familiar.
- Ken Proxmire won a million dollars in the lottery but after five years and failed businesses, he filed for bankruptcy.
- Susan Mullins won the $4.2 jackpot but became even deeply in debt to a company which gave her a loan with her winnings as collateral.
- Another sad story is that of William Bud Post who won a cool $16.2 million in 1988 but ended up living on food stamps and social security, after enduring a life with his brother who hired someone to kill him and a suit from a girlfriend all too eager to get a share on his winnings.
- Similarly, Janite Lee won $18 million from the lottery but filed for bankruptcy 8 years later with only $700 to her name.
- Well some people just have too much luck in their hands, or do they? Evelyn Adams won the lottery twice during the 80's with winnings totaling $5.4 million, but ended up years later living in a trailer with no money.
- You would think that a businessman would have known better in handling and managing lottery winnings. This is not so in the case of Andrew Whittaker Jr. who won a whopping $113 million jackpot but lost all the money in 4 short years.
Each Day is a Security Nightmare
After winning the jackpot, the winner mightas well hire a platoon to ensure his safety. Many unfortunate lottery winners either end up dead or their loved ones abducted in exchange for some portion of the prize money. A local who won the lottery was even kidnapped in exchange for the money.
Aside from the security issues, family relationships have been broken due to the sudden change of fortune. There is a saying that if you have lots of money, your friends and relatives will increase ten thousand folds. Well, that is, if you are generous enough to share the bounty to all of the them. If you opt to keep the money to yourself, you only invite strife and well, expect family ties to be broken, forever, in some cases.
After all these, you can definitely say that winning the lottery might not be such a great idea after all, even if you think it will solve all you money problems. It may even create further problems you are not prepared to face. It's alright to dream, but that dream turning into a reality might just turn out to be your worst nightmare.
More by this Author
If you are planning a beach getaway this summer check out this list of the most popular beach resorts in Batangas, Philippines. With photos, videos, and driving directions.
Learn a lesson or two from the lifestyles of the world's most frugal billionaires. Their lifestyles are seem to contradict their status but it works for them.
Do you want to find out if a guy is in love with you? Check out these signs to be sure!