jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Belt Tightening Tips

1. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 8 years ago

How are you scaling back on your spending during these uncertain economic times?

2. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 8 years ago

No cuts on my side. Yet. If my business goes as bad as it does now, I'll be forced to seriously cut my expenses about half a year down the road...

3. Mighty Mom profile image91

So, if you do have to make cuts, what expenses will get the ax first? I'm curious to see creative ideas that others are either doing or contemplating.

4. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 8 years ago

I think about it when/if I get there smile

The obvious thing is we'll have to move into smaller house in not-so-fancy area, the rest is not so clear smile

5. Mighty Mom profile image91

Oy. I look at moving out of my house as the last resort -- even though the mortgage is obviously the biggest payment every month. We only bought in 2007 so really, really want to ride this out so we don't lose our equity and the property values come back up. Ramen noodles are pretty good, as I remember from my single gal days:

6. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 8 years ago

LOL we rent, so it is not a problem for us smile

7. 0
    Leta Sposted 8 years ago

Hey, MM--

Expenses like food and travel are always those you can control.  You don't have to eat Ramen (!) LOL, really, unless you want to.  Are you fond of rice?  smile

We will definitely be traveling less (in AZ, obviously, there is a lot of territory to cover).

Housing--we are lucky to have one of the biggest bargains of the century, lol, though many might not think so...  This is the oldest house in the area, and we heat by firewood (which is possible, since it is not that cold--and which only costs us $20 a cord, as we live by a lumber yard).

8. Stacie L profile image86
    Stacie Lposted 8 years ago

I moved to a less expensive part of the country to save money...
    it's not easy to go from suburban to rural but i 'm less stressed and
    saving a lot of money.
    i also put the credit cards in a box and use debit most of the time.
    it really helps me to curb spending.
    big_smile

9. Mighty Mom profile image91

Thanks for sharing your strategies. I definitely try to live off debit cards, but being self-employed, there are weeks/months when the ARs are not quite there yet. I'm trying hard not to live on credit cards as it's a hugely bad (and financially unsound) habit!

Lita -- Yes, I am very fond of rice as well as pasta. Alas, my hubby is a meat eater all the way.

working