jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Mailing List Snail Mail Chain Mail send $1.00

1. MomsTreasureChest profile image76
    MomsTreasureChestposted 3 years ago

Have you ever received the chain mail letter that asks you to send $1.00 to the next person on the mailing list?  Did you try it?  Did you receive any dollars?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I wouldn't waste my time with crap like that.

2. Sally's Trove profile image100
      Sally's Troveposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Not a good idea...Here's what the US Postal Service has to say. Well worth the read if you want to stay out of jail.

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/inve … tters.aspx

3. 76
      MissCapriposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Got that chain letter when I was a child. foolishly did what it said. Got zilch in return. Chain letters are scams and they have gone from snailmail to the internet, and are not only in pyramid scheme form.

2. 0
    Miriam Weissmannposted 3 years ago

I've had them a couple of times and chucked them in the bin. It's always a con.

3. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

It is a pyramid scheme and as such even if some people profit, most lose.

4. brimancandy profile image83
    brimancandyposted 3 years ago

I had a friend that used to do that, and he was all excited that he was making $22.00 a week. But, he's not good at math. I said, no, you are making less the $10.00 a week. You have to send $10.00, plus pay for the stamps to send those $10.00. The only people that are making any money, is the person that started the chain, and maybe 10 people below him. The rest are just breaking even. So, he said he would stop sending out letters and just earn money from whoever sent him money. Then he started getting mad because he wasn't getting any more letters.

I explained to him that once your name drops off the list. You won't get anything. And, he thought he was going to get rich, so he went out and bought himself a new car. Not a smart thinker.

5. C_MarieWeber profile image76
    C_MarieWeberposted 3 years ago

My mom tried that when I was a kid -she had high hopes for potential success. It was a complete loss and waste of time.

6. Pop Culture World profile image83
    Pop Culture Worldposted 3 years ago

My Ridiculous Get Rich Quick and Bomb History

Let me tell you, I know all about these things, pretty much pre-internet.

Back around 1994 to 1995 when I was in my late teens, I placed an ad in the classified section of the National Enquirer for people to send me $5.00 for some moneymaking secrets. Two people sent me $5.00, but over the course of the next three years hundreds of people asked me to send them $1 as part of a pyramid scheme. They got my name from the Enquirer for their mailing list.

I threw all of the mail out, but once I was sent $3 because someone placed my name on a recipient list.

In my late teens in the 90s I was also ordering "make money" kits from infomercials. I had VHS tapes from Don LaPre about placing tiny ads in newspapers around the country, once bought a kit from something called "The HIghlander Club," which was a briefcase full of ads for "secret investment opportunities," and another time bought a kit about buying houses. You were supposed to call realtors and tell them you wanted to buy houses with "no money down." They basically ended up laughing at you and hanging up the phone.

Once I even tried buying a gumball machine for $800 out of a local newspaper. The seller could tell I was a naive 18-year-old and used paternal instincts by refusing to sell to me.

Funny I did all this at 18 and 19. I forgot about it for so many years. Hope you guys had fun reading it.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image93
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 3 years ago in reply to this

LOL!  You must have been quite a kid fro your parents to have around!  Fun story - thanks for sharing!

1. Pop Culture World profile image83
        Pop Culture Worldposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Haha thanks. My parents thought some of the stuff I did was indeed colorful.