jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (9 posts)

What is the highest denomination of money in bill form?

1. moneyfairy profile image62
    moneyfairyposted 3 years ago

Is there for example a $500 bill? or a $1000 bill?or is $100 the highest? I remember one of my senior clients telling me that there used to be a $500 bill so I was just wondering if there are any more in circulation or are they all obsolete? Also is the $2 bill still out there or has that stopped too? just curious as I haven't seen them in a long while.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image92
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 3 years ago in reply to this

This would have been a good post for the Q&A section.  Yes, there used to be $500 and even $1000 bills, but they were taken out of circulation many years ago.  I've seen &2 bills in recent years, but they're not real common.

I have a vague memory of, as a little school kid, being taken on a tour of the state capitol building where we lived, and someone showing the class a framed bill of a huge denomination. It was the biggest denomination you could get, and the person explained they'd paid that much money for it. My memory has always been that it was $1,000,000 - since I was a very little kid, who knows?  Might have been anything under that ($100,000? $10,000?), but it was more than $1,000.

1. moneyfairy profile image62
        moneyfairyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thank you Marcy any denomination over $100 is incredible Wow!!!

2. moneyfairy profile image62

Marcy I did just ask a question in the Q&A section about who would accept such large bills and for what purchase. Thanks for the idea of putting it into Q&A format!!!

2. Sapper profile image72
      Sapperposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The highest in use is the $100 bill. However, there are $500, $1,000, $10,000, and $100,000 that were printed and used at some point in time. The highest used for circulation was the $10,000, the $100,000 was only used by the federal reserve banks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_deno … s_currency

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image92
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, Sapper - I think you have more accurate data than I do. We probably saw the $100.000 bill, and It may have been related to the state treasury or something. As I recall, it was larger than regular currency.

2. moneyfairy profile image62

Thank you Sapper,
        I wonder if it was the Rockefellars and such that carried such huge bills. I think I remember hearing something about the people in the Railroad business having such large bills like Carnegie, I think that's right. Thanks for the info. very interesting.

3. moneyfairy profile image62

Sapper after reading the Wikepedia link that you shared all those large bills seem to have been for government only rather than public circulation. Very intersting stuff. Thanks!

1. Sapper profile image72
          Sapperposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Your right, except the $10,000. I had thought the $500 was too, but I guess not.

working