jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)

Hey, we know one of the lottery winners.

1. moonlake profile image87
    moonlakeposted 3 years ago

I was so surprised to see someone we knew. We're happy for him. I was thinking about what all he could do with that money. What would you do if you won the Powerball lottery?

1. snakeslane profile image81
      snakeslaneposted 3 years ago in reply to this

What would I do if I won the lottery? Seriously? You're kidding right moonlake?

moonlakeposted 3 years ago in reply to this

No!

2. Millionaire Tips profile image88
      Millionaire Tipsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Who do we know that won?

I should have worded it right. It's someone we know that won. He's from our area and went to school with our kids. The first lottery winner to turn in his ticket.
        All I meant by this question was if you had that much money what would you do with it. I would pay off the homes of every brother and sister of ours. I would not pay $38,000.00 like Oprah for a purse that could buy two cars for two families that needed that kind of help.

2. earner profile image87
    earnerposted 3 years ago

I would buy a nice, compact house and nice compact, fuel-efficient car.

Then I'd hire a full-time genealogist to chase up all my family mysteries and fill out my family tree, while I walk by randomly and point at one and ask questions about people that appear interesting, so they can then dig out more information about specific interesting people.

Then I'd get a kayak and take some lessons.

Then I'd spend some time travelling round to visit people and places I used to know - but can no longer afford to visit "on a whim".

Never thought of the genealogy thing, good idea. I would love to visit each old home I use to live in and Karlsruhe would be my first place to visit.

3. Millionaire Tips profile image88
    Millionaire Tipsposted 3 years ago

I would love to travel and do the genealogy research myself.  Go to my ancestor's homes and where the archives are, just like they do on Who Do You Think You Are.  I may even hire a videographer and make my own documentary!

I would like to buy out all the dilapidated but beautiful old houses in a neighborhood and fix them all up to revive the area.

It's funny you would say that about old homes. When we headed home from town yesterday we saw three old homes I love and I told my husband if I won the lottery I would want to buy them and fix them up. My husband said he wanted nothing to do with that, no problem I will hire it done, if I win the lottery.
      Paul's (lottery winner) parents were just on our local tv channel and he told his parents to start thinking about what they wanted including a new house. That's a nice son.

4. moonlake profile image87
    moonlakeposted 3 years ago

He's building his parents a new home. The very first thing he did. I think that is really nice of him some people wouldn't do that no matter how much money they had.

5. Barbara Kay profile image83
    Barbara Kayposted 3 years ago

My husband buys lotto tickets every week. He plans on giving each of the family members (brothers and sisters) each $1 million. Then he will have a house built for both our son and daughter and make a trust fund for them that pays them once a month. Then he will retire early. I'd talk him into a cottage on a lake in the meantime.

I'll never win, because I don't buy the tickets. We like to dream about him winning though.

I don't buy the tickets but my husband likes to buy them once a week. He was going to give it up but I told him to go ahead he doesn't do much for fun and this is the one thing he enjoys.

6. Silva Hayes profile image94
    Silva Hayesposted 3 years ago

Oh I love this question! 

I would pay off any debt we owe, renovate and update the house, and establish trust funds for college education for our granddaughters.  Depending on how big our winnings are, I would set aside some for our living expenses for the rest of our lives, and then give money to our children and my brother and sister, then randomly give away money to people I hear about, or already know about, who need it and deserve it.

Then I would travel, travel, travel.  Since I'm old, I would travel all the way around the world, hitting all the spots I've always wanted to visit, and then I would select the favorites and go back to them a second time.

Your travels sound like fun. I guess taking care of our families are what would be first thing all of us would want to do.

7. 0
    Beth37posted 3 years ago

Ooh, I have a slightly relevant quote that I found funny.
    "You would have to win a mega millions jackpot once a week for 600 consecutive weeks to be as rich as Bill Gates. But I'm going to warn you... that kind of streak... very rare."
    Gary Gulman

It sure would be very rare. I think it's even rare to know someone who has won the Powerball.

1. 0
        Beth37posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yeah... not rare, impossible. It was a comedian who made the joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpyBfz7zzXc

working