Tipping Shouldn't be Mandatory

1. greeneyedblondie profile image80
    greeneyedblondieposted 2 years ago

Okay, before all the of waitresses and waiters (sorry, servers) of the United States start ranting and getting upset about this, keep reading. If I do see rants in the responses then you clearly didn't read these next paragraphs and you look stupid. Not that you read that...

Alright. First of all, they should be paid at least minimum wage. Personally I think they should be getting paid around $12+ an hour for all of the work they have to do, think about it. They memorize the menu (I have been to places where the menu was literally five pages thick, front and back), and memorize who ordered what, and then go to five other tables and do the same thing, come back with burning hot food (how do you do that! The second I touch the plate I have a minor burn on my hand) that weighs a ton mind you, do that with the five other tables, take the tab and give change back, then clean the table once you're done eating and have left. All of this happens without sitting down. You might be thinking to yourself, that doesn't sound all that hard...

Well there are always customers that have aditude problems they have to deal with, extremely messy children they have to clean up after, and probably get yelled at by the cooks if you ever return your food, all that is usually for several hours. Also, guess who's working on holidays where everyone decides to go out to eat with their family? The restaurant workers.

The point of the tip is to reward the waiter or waitress for giving exceptional service. I have recently eaten out and haven't gotten a waitress with exception service, I usually just felt like I was just another customer they had to deal with. Of course I still gave a tip since I don't want to be one of those a-holes people always rant about online for not giving a tip. I just felt like they didn't deserve it. They still needed to feed themselves and put a roof over their heads though (not to mention a family they could have had), so that shouldn't be taken away from them.

Waitresses and waiters should be paid at least minimum wage so they don't have to fight for every dollar they make.

1. kenneth avery profile image84
      kenneth averyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

You rock, girl! You are spot-on with this post!

2. 60
    NelleSposted 2 years ago

I would like to know how I can change my email address. If somebody knows how to change my email address on my hubpages, please let me know.