jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (18 posts)

Does money control you or do you control money?

1. Lady_E profile image82
    Lady_Eposted 7 years ago

Does money control you or is it the other way round? Example, certain people have to do jobs they don't like just because they need the money. They say, they have no options. In that case, I would say money controls.

1. darkside profile image83
      darksideposted 7 years ago in reply to this

We take turns.

And sometimes unexpected situations can dictate how finances are used.

2. livewithrichard profile image87
      livewithrichardposted 7 years ago in reply to this

This is a timely questions because I happen to be in this position right now.  My company informed us Friday that they must go through a 4th downsizing this year.  Layoffs will begin on June 15th.  Now I'm fairly certain that I can make it through this round, but I have been given the option to volunteer for the layoff with a small benefit package.  I have to give my answer by Monday. Oh, and they say if there is a 5th downsizing, there will be no severance.

After discussing this with my family, I'm realizing that this is an opportunity.  If I give up my position on a job I can't stand anymore, I save a job for one of my co-workers, plus I free up my time to devote 100% to my consulting gig which gives me great pleasure. 

The decision should be an easy one, however I must consider the, hopefully short term, drop in income.  Do I plan for the worst and hope for the best? Do I hold on to hope that my industry will turn around?  I guess I'll let you know on Monday.

1. 0
        dennisemattposted 7 years ago in reply to this

good luck. I would say, if you cant stand your job, it woudlnt hurt to look into something different. I know, eveyone needs money, food housing etc. But you dont have to take a job you hate just to get it. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise?

3. anjalichugh profile image89
      anjalichughposted 7 years ago in reply to this

In my case, as darkside said....we take turns. It depends on the situation which, of course, never remains the same.smile

2. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 7 years ago

I work for others for now. smile Hoping to get independent of others tongue lol

3. girly_girl09 profile image80
    girly_girl09posted 7 years ago

Right now, money is controlling me. I have to take out around $100-125k to finish up college and get my degrees.

Based upon previous experiences, I know that you can definitely control money. The last two years, I chose to work full-time, in addition to also running my own business and do some freelance consulting work on the side of that. It wasn't about the money, I was having fun and just happened to get paid ridiculous amounts that a typical 20-something doesn't usually get. I wish I would've been more responsible. Maybe I thought my windfall would last forever, who knows?

Now, I barely have anything & am stuck with loans so I can get my degrees to be able to do my dream job.

I'm glad that I've had experiences on both ends of the spectrum. Someday, when I'm able to control my financial intake again, I'll be more careful and save.

4. Mimbi profile image60
    Mimbiposted 7 years ago

I don't let money control me, even if I need it and don't have it. I don't see it control anything I do. I never really was open with my money though, I like having money, sadly to a point I won't spend it even if I wanted something most the time. Go figure.

5. Lady_E profile image82
    Lady_Eposted 7 years ago

Sorry to hear your news Richard. Whatever happens, I hope things eventually work out nicely for you. If you do choose to give up your position, I pray another door opens for you, particularly in the area of your Consulting Gig.  Good Luck.

6. 61
    nadav nadlerposted 7 years ago

Money controls me. There is nothing to talk about.

7. infinityplusone profile image61
    infinityplusoneposted 7 years ago

Money and credit card companies are my owners now but I am working hard at creating more hubs to make more money to get them off my back.

1. Vee Rose profile image61
      Vee Roseposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I'd like to believe I control money.  Unfortunately, it's the other way around.  Darn mortgage!

8. Greek One profile image81
    Greek Oneposted 7 years ago

my wife controls both

9. ledefensetech profile image82
    ledefensetechposted 7 years ago

The Fed controls money, that's why we're all screwed.

1. manchito profile image60
      manchitoposted 7 years ago in reply to this

For every Job, or activity you will be presented with three choices:

a) Tasks you LOVE to do
      b) Tasks you HATE to do
      c) Tasks you HAVE to do

Find a balance on those three items and you will have success withoout worrying who's the real master... You or the Money

My $.02

10. Marketing Sucesso profile image46
    Marketing Sucessoposted 7 years ago

Hope some day I could be in control tongue

1. ledefensetech profile image82
      ledefensetechposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Buy gold.  Take a look at this comparison from the Mogambo Guru, writing for The Daily Reckoning:  http://dailyreckoning.com/urgent-update … ll-closed/

Ah if we only knew then what we know now.

1. someonewhoknows profile image31
        someonewhoknowsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

The price of Gold in 1971,? When in 1971.I makes a difference. Gold went way up in a very short time after it was made legal tender again ,and it wasn't even pure gold.Are we talking pure Gold or not? Then there is speculators in Gold who may try to manipulate it's price ,the same as they do with oil,and stocks.They buy low and sell high.The biggest holder of any of thses can manipulate the price to their advantage.However Gold and oil will never be worth zero,like stocks might.The true value of anything is what ever some is willing to pay for it no matter when it's bought or sold for the most part.