jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Unemployment benefits start to run out for MI residents

1. 0
    pgrundyposted 7 years ago

Found this on the news today:

"The Michigan Unemployment Insurance Agency says that between Aug. 24 and Sept. 18 nearly 230 people in Kalamazoo County will have exhausted their benefits. In previous months, the number of people exhausting their benefits has been in the dozens, not hundreds, officials say.

And by the end of the year, more than 1,500 people in Kalamazoo County won't be getting the unemployment checks they've depended on as the job market as dried up."

Here's the link:

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/ind … yed_t.html

I find this kinda scary. How are other states doing? Anybody in CA?

2. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

There have been similar problems in many states all year. I think it was January where 50,000 New Yorkers were running out of benefits. Really sad...

My oldest daughter lost her job two months ago, is on unemployment and expecting twins in 3 weeks. Now THAT is a very scary place to be.

1. 0
      pgrundyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Wow, is it ever. Although, remembering the nineth month of my own pregnancies, I'm thinking there must be at least a little bit of a silver lining---at least until the money runs out. Hopefully things will look up for her by the time she can go back to work.

1. lrohner profile image85
        lrohnerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I hope so too. Thx PG.

2. tksensei profile image61
      tksenseiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Ouch. How's she holding up?

1. lrohner profile image85
        lrohnerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Health or finances? Health, well, she's actually doing pretty well. Guess the body is a bit more resilient at age 24! But her tummy is super gynormous.

And finances, well, fortunately I've raised a really super responsible, smart gal. She spent the past six months saving up every single cent she could to get her through the next few. But her hubby is a union carpenter, and they're not in the greatest demand these days, and union rules make it difficult for him to take on another job. He's actually on unemployment just about as much as he's employed. Really, really scary. Fortunately, I've got two spare bedrooms if it ever came to that. Unfortunately, her hubby would rather cut off his right arm than live with his mommy-in-law!  smile

1. Eric Graudins profile image61
          Eric Graudinsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I'd suggest you turn down the bed covers for your daughter and her baby. :-)

And her partner could maybe sleep outside in the car.
          (However, it's amazing how strongly held positions can change with circumstances.)