Does Money equal Happiness?

Jump to Last Post 51-70 of 70 discussions (91 posts)
  1. profile image56
    C.J. Wrightposted 14 years ago

Was Elvis happy?  Michael Jackson?  Marylin Monroe?

Mother Teresa seemed happy.   Many of the Amish people seem very happy. Both without money..... 

Money can not buy happieness. Nor can it by love. Both are intangibles. Emotions, state of being, state of mind. Happieness and Love are real, money isn't. Seems illogical doesn't it?  I mean I can hold a dollar, so certainly it's real? Nope, just a place holder, no better than a zero on a number line.

Now thats not to say that money can't buy a lot of distractions, because it most certainly can. Those distractions may for a time seem fulfilling, exciting or fun. However like most things money can buy, the novelty wears off. Then you are left to what ever your state was prior to the distraction. Funny what we believe in isn't it?

2. efeguy profile image40
    efeguyposted 14 years ago

for me yes and no.

no money there is no happiness,

lot money sometime bring happiness and  unhappiness so its 50-50

3. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I just deposited $12,000.00 in the bank this past week. I am extremely happy now, but I am a happy guy anyway.

4. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

And yet, even happier this weekend I'm guessing.

1. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, maybe. I have been busy with the house anyway getting ready for Seasonal visitors. Got some shopping to finish, older people to visit with and just have some fun.

5. profile image0
    AdviceDoctorposted 14 years ago

I wanna be able to say no to this question, but the fact is that money really has alot to say about whether you're happy or not. I mean, let's face it; money gives you more stuff - we are a greedy generation, we ALWAYS want more and more stuff. We're never really satsfied until we get MORE. And MORE costs money.

So technically, money is happiness.

6. marinealways24 profile image59
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

No, I think       Money = Chaos

I watched a show called "Meet the Natives".

They are a happy little tribe from somewhere in Africa. They are out in the jungles with no money, straw houses, and they work all day. While watching, I never seen one sad person in the tribe. These were the happiest people I have ever seen. Then they are flown to America. It's as if they went from happiness to depression. As soon as they experienced the power of money in the search of happiness, I think they realized how money is our destruction. They weren't the smartest people or the wealthiest, but they may be the happiest.

7. Azhar Kamar profile image64
    Azhar Kamarposted 14 years ago

Money equals Happiness when one does not let Money control oneself. ;-)

8. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Not an original thought, but sums up my view:  "There are problems with being poor, and problems with being rich.  I like the problems of being rich better."

9. Lita C. Malicdem profile image60
    Lita C. Malicdemposted 14 years ago

Owning money, especially that which is honestly earned-lots of it- isn't bad. Money therefore = happiness.

However, putting so much love on money, even driving one to do bad to have it, is often the root of all evils. Money therefore = unhappiness.

10. Cleanclover profile image44
    Cleancloverposted 14 years ago

No but both are needed

11. bumbus profile image58
    bumbusposted 14 years ago

money would help toward happiness in my opinion

http://hubpages.com/_3shflskakh4zt/hub/ … stmas-time

12. alexhd57 profile image73
    alexhd57posted 14 years ago

I think Charles Dickens summed this up beautifully when he said, "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery"

In essence you don't need a lot of money to be happy, but you do need enough to fund your minimum level of lifestyle that you'll be happy with. Often it can be be easier to re-evaluate how much that needs to be downwards by cutting out needless expenses to achieve happiness than it is trying to make more money all the time.

13. profile image52
    CitizenKateposted 14 years ago

My father used to say, "Money may not buy happiness, but it makes being miserable a whole lot more fun."

14. Andrea Hanly profile image57
    Andrea Hanlyposted 14 years ago

Realistically, money really does make the world go around. You cannot eat or have a home without money. If you and yours are homeless and hungry, can you be happy? Not really.

So I would say that while money does not guarantee happiness, true happiness is not possible in today's world without money.

15. KeithTax profile image74
    KeithTaxposted 14 years ago

No.

16. makanaka profile image60
    makanakaposted 14 years ago

Yes money equal happiness,unless you are miserable and you dont know how to use it,hence the saying"The worst thing that could happen to a man is to get rich before he is prepared for it".

17. Sa Toya profile image84
    Sa Toyaposted 14 years ago

Money doesn't buy happiness but it buys comfort!

Being comfy can make one happy.

I agree with kakin that t's what money can do or what you can do with it- then it depends on how materialistic the person is.

18. profile image0
    Citrus000posted 14 years ago

Nope.  big_smile

1. Sa Toya profile image84
      Sa Toyaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Simple and to the point....love it!

19. Diskobolos profile image57
    Diskobolosposted 14 years ago

Not everything is in money... there's something in the gold too.smile

20. Wayne Orvisburg profile image62
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 14 years ago

To anyone that says money doesn't equal happiness, has just accepted that they won't ever have enough or already has enough. The truth is, money gives you one thing that can truly make you happy. FREEDOM. You don't have to be filthy rich or anything, but have enough money to be free to do what you want. I'd love to pursue acting, but it's hard to support a family as a struggling actor. Get it?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)